VMware Cloud Community
dnortham
Contributor
Contributor

SQL LOG file fills up Rapidly

I've upgraded from Virtual Center 2.5 to Vcenter 4.0 and since the upgrade our SQL transaction LOG file keeps filling up, we are having to do backups every two hours just to keep the LOG file from filling up. we have a MAX size of 750MB for the LOG file. the VIM_VCDB is 740MB in size.

I am running SQL 2005 express edition, It is managing approx 10 ESX 3.5 hosts and about 150 guests.

Currently, the LOG file size is 739MB and is 79% used and I just took a backup approx 1 hour 20 min ago. I have confirmed that after the backup the LOG file used space goes back down to 1%.

has anyone else encountered this issue... Any ideas as to why something is not commiting.. I have disabled statistics in Vcenter, but still did not resolve this issue. I have a support case in with VMWARE right now; but they are saying that they don't support SQL LOG files. and there response is Increase the LOG file size.. I understand from a basic point about LOG file management but I feel this amount of un-commited transactions is just to excessive and there has to be something misconfigured or just plain not working right.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The KB may help you

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001046

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**
0 Kudos
dnortham
Contributor
Contributor

No, the problem isn't with managing them, it's trying to figure out why it's filling up. We ran 2.5 for quite some time without issue; but as soon as we upgraded to 4.0 all of a sudden something is beating on the LOG files.. I am not worried about how to RECOVER; I am trying to find ROOT CAUSE.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

Use sql server profile to record the data.

Then determine what crappy query is not committing transactions.

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/analyzing_profiler_output.htm

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check this out!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos