VMware Cloud Community
DawsonB
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Agent jobs Past Day stats rollup Past Month stats rollup Past Week stats rollup

My SQL Server administrator is querying why the SQL Agent jobs Past Day stats rollup, Past Month stats rollup & Past Week stats rollup have been created as they do not conform to our configuration standards and one of them has recently generated an alarm. They are not mentioned in the installation guide but I have searched for information about them and they appear to manage historical performance data.

These jobs have been diabled for now, what effect, if any, will this have on VirtualCentre?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You will undoubtedly run into this problem at some point:

After VirtualCenter 2.5 upgrade: Performance data is currently not available for this entity (100438...

These jobs are required. You will eventually run out of space without them.

jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I agree with rickblythe on this one. They are most definitely required for normal operation of vCenter. The rollup jobs take the incoming data and process it so that you can view the historical data from the performance tab of the entities in your vCenter server. If they do not run, you will not have historical performance data and the database will grow until you start to experience slowness, or even crashes of the service due to lack of space. Also please note that these scripts in a full MSSQL installation (not sql express though) are scheduled with the SQL agent service, so therefore make sure that you also have this service started and set to automatic.

Cheers,

/Jonathan