VMware Cloud Community
roartf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SNMP traps from ESX to Whatsup

Hi

Was wondering if anyone has setup SNMP traps between ESX servers and Whatsup (Mgmt software from Ipswitch).

Wanna setup monitoring of CPU and Memory load of my ESX servers.

Any suggestions are appreciated Smiley Happy

Roar

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

We don't use whatsup ourselves but for any snmp management server to receive these alerts you need to:

Setup VI alerts for host CPU and Memory to send snmp traps

Configure VI with your snmp management server and community name(s)

copy over and compile the VI management mibs on your management server ( I think you can find them here: \Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\MIBS )

If you want to monitor additional alerts from your ESX hosts that VC doesn't report or you would like to do this monitoring straight from the host you can look at this doc, page 32, to get you started: http://download3.vmware.com/vmworld/2006/adc0051.pdf

Hope that helps!

roartf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found all the different MIBS (6 i think). Only three were on the ESX server.

I installed them but something wierd about what it reports on memory usage. Shows too little memory available. Shows only 256mb but i have 16gb on the ESX server.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unfortunately, most SNMP objects polled off the Host are going to be related to the console OS.

That 256MB is the memory you've allocated to the console.

roartf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanx for fast respons.

Any way to work around this?

Is there another object i can pull from SNMP that would give me same result?

Thanx

Roar

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think so. I haven't looked at the MIBs recently, perhaps somethings changed...

However, WhatsUp can also be setup to execute scripts for its active polling. You may want to look at this route. The VI Perl Toolkit can poll Virtual Center & Hosts for various statistics...

I see values under HostListSummaryQuickStats (overallCpuUsage & overallMemoryUsage) that are easy enough to poll.

0 Kudos
roartf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent looked at this after upgrading too newer version. Thanx all.

0 Kudos