VMware Cloud Community
crq
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP agent problem after update to VCSA 6 update 2

Hi, yesterday I updated VCSA appliance from version 6u1 to 6u2 and after the update I have problems with SNMP agent.

The SNMP agent was working after restart about 30 minutes and then it stopped responding to SNMP queries.

I tried another reboot, and it was the same. So I reset SNMP agent using snmp.reset and configured again communities and enabled SNMP agent using snmp.enable, then again it worked about 30 minutes and stopped responding to SNMP queries.

I also checked if the snmpd service is running and it is. Sometimes it helps to restart snmpd service, but not every time.

Can someone please advise?

10 Replies
VM-Patrol
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

I use the VCSA appliance with embedded PSC.

After update from VCSA 6 U1 to VCSA 6 U2 the snmp daemon did not answer to snmp polls.

The snmp daemon is running and the community sting is ok.

After VCSA restart the snmp poll from Nagios and MRTG works for about 30 minutes. After that the snmp daemon did not answer on polls, but the daemon is still running

Output from snmp.get

Command> snmp.get

Config:

Enable: True

Users:

Notraps:

Privacy: none

Loglevel: warning

V3targets:

Pid: 4995

Syslocation:

Targets:

Remoteusers:

Authentication: none

Communities: public

Engineid: 80001adc80c4628b20dfacd45500000000

Port: 161

Syscontact:

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Jimmycleuren
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, polling stops working after 30 minutes

0 Kudos
rand99
Contributor
Contributor

same issue here...

0 Kudos
spiazza1
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. I'm opening a case.

0 Kudos
adr1an5
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing the same issue. Any updates?

0 Kudos
spiazza1
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case. Sent logs. After numerous hours with a tech scrubbing logs, they determined it is a bug. My case has been added to the list and hopefully issue will be fixed in next release.

0 Kudos
adr1an5
Contributor
Contributor

Wonderful! Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
erpadmin2
Contributor
Contributor

any update on this.  We are on update 2 and snmp just stops responding after a day or so and I have to bounce the snmpd service using VCSA bash shell afterwhich it starts working again immediately.

0 Kudos
mkelseywsu
Contributor
Contributor

When running 6.0, I noticed the snmp daemon was running hot, and given I had already reported it to them, I added a cron job to restart it every 30 minutes.  I just managed a successful 6.5 upgrade, so I'll soon see if the same problem persists.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Same problem here during upgrade from 6.5.0.20000 Build Number 8307201 to 6.5.0.23100 Build-Nummer 11347054

I have seen this problem in most of the 6.5 versions and normaly you can fix it by just run "snmp.enable" again.

Regards,

Joerg