VMware Cloud Community
hardingp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Roles: Cannot see templates

I am having some interesting behavior from a role assignment to a group of users that login to my Virtual Center.

Basically they have rights to only power on/power off / use console on all their virtual machines in their cluster.

I also want them to have the right to 'Mark as Template' and "Convert to virtual machine' Which I have assigned to them in their role.

However, they are able to 'Mark as Template' But as soon as they do that, they can no longer see their template, even in the Inventory -> Virtual Machines & Templates

Does anyone know which role allows a user to see templates? I have scanned through them all, and cannot find it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. You have to give rights to a top level machine (as administrator) but don't propagate. Then give the rights to whatever object you want them to have access to, like a resource pool. The trick is that the rights have to be assigned for them to see the drives and have access, but they only do this from a top level, and the reason you don't want them to propagate, is because you don't want them to see everything in between, just the top object then the object (pool or VMs) you want for Virtual Machine user

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes. You have to give rights to a top level machine (as administrator) but don't propagate. Then give the rights to whatever object you want them to have access to, like a resource pool. The trick is that the rights have to be assigned for them to see the drives and have access, but they only do this from a top level, and the reason you don't want them to propagate, is because you don't want them to see everything in between, just the top object then the object (pool or VMs) you want for Virtual Machine user

0 Kudos