VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Reverse lookup zone configuration for vCenter

Is there who can tell me why reverse lookup zone configuration is required for vCenter because at the time of vCenter installation there is statement reverse lookup zone is not configured some of the services may not start like that statement is pop up. Can anyone give me the example of those services also.

Message was edited by: a.p. - fixed the title (all caps)

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

The vCenter server installer will perform a reverse DNS lookup and confirming if there is an entry for the server.All you need to do is first confirm if infact a reverse lookup zone exists on the DNS server. This most likley will be on an Active Directory Domain Controller and replicated too all other DCs in the domain/forest. So a single point of config can add this for all DNS servers if there are more than one.

fullyqualifieddomainnameerror1

Go to your DNS server and add a new reverse lookup zone for the IP range that the server exists in. You will notice your server still does not appear in the reverse lookup zone.

Next we need to request the server to register its adaptors in DNS updating the records already held and not - in this case our reverse lookup zone record.

ipconfig /registerdns

Refreshing the DNS Manager console will now show the pointer record for this server in its reverse lookup zone.

Pressing backing the back button then next again will confirm this issue is now resolved. If the reverse lookup was still not working correctly this test would fail again and the warning dialog would be shown again.

Happily now continue the installation/upgrade....

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@katepalli

When copying from a blog, please at least give credit to the author by adding a link!

http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/vmware/36-virtualcenter/282-vsphere5fqdnerror

André

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Thanks for moving the conversation to correct group

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi katepalli

I knew that how to configure the reverse lookup zone but my question was can anyone tell me those services those need the REVERSE LOOKUP ZONE configuration?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
siraj004
Contributor
Contributor

Following link will help you to configure reverse lookup...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959300.aspx

All the best...

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Again My question is not that how to configure Reverse Lookup Zone. It is i want to know what are services of vCenter those need REVERSE LOOKUP ZONE Configuration?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The documentation doesn't give the exact technical reason for it, but at least what the reverse lookup zone is needed for.

from DNS Requirements for vSphere

Ensure that DNS reverse lookup returns a fully qualified domain name  when queried with the IP address of the vCenter Server. When you install  vCenter Server, the installation of the web server component that  supports the  vSphere Client fails if the installer cannot look up the  fully qualified domain name of the vCenter Server from its IP address.  Reverse lookup is implemented using PTR records. To create a PTR record,  see the documentation for your vCenter Server host operating system.

André

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

Sure...Thanks

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos