VMware Cloud Community
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restore user permission on fresh installed Vcenter

Hi!

I have VM with Vcenter 5.5 u3e installed. This VM is fail. The VC on this VM dosn't work, but i have file access to this VM.

In this VC we have configure 3 domains in Integrity Services, and users from this domains can login to this VC.

Now i wont install new VC (5.5 u3e) on new VM. Before this, I wont configure ODBC to existing SQL database (separate server).

Question!

Where does the VC (5.5 u3e) store information about user permissions for VC objects ?

SQL database ? Separate ADAM base in file?

How i can restore users permission?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you have your vcenter database on external SQL server. Take a backup of Database and try to reinstall the vCenter server pointing to same database. It may fix the issue. User permissions are stored in vCenter database. 

If you want to restore only the user permission , then you have to look at the appropriate database tables which contains the information user information but this may mostly wont work as there could be some database primary or foreign key constraints and fixing them would be tedious. Else you have to manually assign permissions again.

I don't have any running 5.5 setup to find the table information for you. 

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just reinstall the vCenter server 5.5(on a new Box) pointing to same SQL database 5.5 (update ODBC). In 5.5 User details should be in vpx_access.

All your permissions should be  retained. If you had AD as identity source ; just reconfigure it. 
Please plan to migrate to VCSA 6.5 or above ASAP.   (Better 6.7 due to Flash EOL)

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you have your vcenter database on external SQL server. Take a backup of Database and try to reinstall the vCenter server pointing to same database. It may fix the issue. User permissions are stored in vCenter database. 

If you want to restore only the user permission , then you have to look at the appropriate database tables which contains the information user information but this may mostly wont work as there could be some database primary or foreign key constraints and fixing them would be tedious. Else you have to manually assign permissions again.

I don't have any running 5.5 setup to find the table information for you. 

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just reinstall the vCenter server 5.5(on a new Box) pointing to same SQL database 5.5 (update ODBC). In 5.5 User details should be in vpx_access.

All your permissions should be  retained. If you had AD as identity source ; just reconfigure it. 
Please plan to migrate to VCSA 6.5 or above ASAP.   (Better 6.7 due to Flash EOL)

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all, who reply!

very helpful for me now!

0 Kudos