VMware Cloud Community
projectja
Contributor
Contributor

Resource allocation vm level - reservation - HA

Hi,

We are planning to configure shares or reservation for specific virtual machine.

Related to the bibliografy of Duccan Epi Vmware Sphere 5, it is possilble to assign shares or memory reservation.

Assigning reservations might cause unexpected behaviour when the virtual machine is power on or perhaps with vmotion.

lMy question with resources Allocation is:

- When vmotion moves vm to other node (case of hardware failure), HA acontention policies could prevent virtual machine with reservation to move to other host when there is not enough resources (reservation is configured at virtual machine level).  Imagine we have a cluster with only one virtual machine with 28 gb reservation. Rest of virtual machine on that cluster have not reservations. if the virtual machine is moved the last one, taking in account has reservations, would it have prefernce and allowed to move to?

Imagine the scenario

ESX1 - 16 GB RAM  -  4 CPU X 2 CPS  = 8 VCPU

ESX2 - 16 GB RAM  -  4 CPU X 2 CPS =  8 VCPU

ESX1:

Vm1 - 2 gb RAM x 1 vCPU (default resources allocation)

ESX2:

Vm2 - 4 gb RAM x 2 vCPU (default resources allocation)

Vm3  - 4 gb RAM x 2 vCPU (default resources allocation)

Vm4  - 8 gb RAM x 4 vCPU   - RAM Reservation : 8 GB (virtua machine level)

no resources pools configured

Case of hardware failure of hardware. when vmotion operates:

- Given, vm4 has 8 gb reservation. would it be possible (HA admission control policies) to move virtual machines on ESX2 to ESX1 ?

8+4+4 (esx2 before moving) + 2(ESX1) =  18 GB > 16 GB. It is supposed there will be contention but would vm4 be able to move?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

This will not work.

Even if you choose the option "allow virtual machines to be powered on if availability constraints are not met" HA would failover one VM at a time untill the destination host runs out of resources.

I believe Duncan's book and blog post - which you are following - also has abundant case senerios that details why this will/won't work.

You can also refer the Resources and Availability guides from VMware's doc set

www.yellow-bricks.com

www.vmware.com/support

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos