VMware Cloud Community
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pool Performance Confusion

Hi,

I am currently experiencing a bit confusion related to the resource pool performance charts in VC 2.5.0

I have two resource pools, one for live servers, one for testing and the live one house most of the resources. The confusion is mostly to do with memory so i will concentrate on that. The Server has 7.3GB RAM available for VM's, of which 5.5GB is allocated to the Live resource pool as a reservation. (see attached screenshot - server names removed)

The live resource pool consists of 6 servers, whose combined RAM allocation is less than 5GB (this is simply the RAM they were created with, and i have not changed the resource allocations for these servers).

Firstly, in my mind even if these servers are running flat out, they cannot fulfill the resource pool reservation of 5.5GB?

If i am correct, the performance chart on the resource pool should never show a 'Memory Usage (Average)' of greater than 100%, as the servers cannot request all of the resource from the pool. Currently it shows 95% 'Latest', 187% Max, and 38% Min Memory Usage. I know that the VM's are actually only using approx 25% of their available memory usage anyway, so this chart seems well off.

Secondly, can anyone explain why the chart is showing such high readings?? I have read through countless sets of documentation on resource pools but still cant understand this.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

eservations in Resource Pools will only be used if reservations on set onto the VMs in the resource pool - there are a couple of reasons why your VMs can use more than what is in the resource pool if the limit is set to unlimited the vms will be able to access all the memory from the parent and in terms of reservations if you enabled expandable for the resource pool it will be able to use the parent resources for the reservations

Now for the high readings what the VMs are doing is what will determine how much memory will be used -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Aegis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

So my resource pool is now limited to 5.5GB and i've unticked the boxes for expandable and unlimited so it cant grab extra resource from the host, i've amended each VM so that they have a reservation, and a limit which i've set the same as the RAM in each VM.

The VM's are therefore restricted, so the total RAM usage for the resource pool cannot be greater than 5GB. Why is the resource pool still showing that it has used 99% Memory Usage (Average)??

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The answer tot hat question is going to depend on what the Vms are doing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos