VMware Cloud Community
spina
Contributor
Contributor

Resizing a virtual disk with virtual center 2.5

I've been trying to resize a virtual drive on one of my machines becuase I need to import a rather larger database on it. The current size of the disk in the VM is 50GB and I need to make it at least 100GB if not more. I know I can use VMware converter but I would much rather do it through the VC server since it shows me that it has the capabilities. I have several ESX servers most of which running ESX 3.02 and one running 3.5 so i have a VM on both types of ESX to upgrade. I can't seem to figure out how to get the properties window to apply my settings to the disk to make it bigger. Is there something I need to do or run in order to get the VC server to make the disk size bigger? Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can't resize disks in VC.

Either use Converter or the other possible methods (documented at vmware-land.com

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

If you edit the settings of a VM inside of VC 2.5 and then select the disk from the left pane, do you see the option there? I see it on mine, but I have to say I haven't yet tried this new feature...

By the way, the options are grayed out if the VM is powered on.

I just tried on mine and I do end up with the same thing you mention, it doesn't seem to take, just gives you the option to make the change and reverts back. I'll look into it some more, let me know if you find anything as I'd like to use that feature as well...

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Ok, here's what I found...

I am unable to resize a C:\ partition, as you mention it just never 'takes' the change. I can resize a data partition from VC but other tools are still needed to then expand/extend the disk inside of the OS. Basically VC just seems to run the vmkfstools -X command for you. Somewhat useful, too bad I can't seem to do an OS partition although the command line is pretty easy as well.

As mentioned above, I use the steps at http://vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html usually.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Oliver, there is a new feature that allows you adjust the size of the VMDK on the VM. Click on settings, and click the hard disk. You will note there is a size adjustment. Handy huh?

You can resize the guest VM still, but at least you don't have to do vmkfstools -X ##G

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

My fault, I've overread the 2.5

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have used the VC gui to resize several "C:" drives without issue. I don't see why it would care about your OS's driver letters?

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Sorry, didn't necessarily mean C:, but the OS partition. I have only tried 2 VMs but so far I can't resize either OS partition, it just keeps setting it back to the original size like the OP mentioned.

On those same VMs I can successfully resize any additional data partitions though.

0 Kudos
MiloGancarz
Contributor
Contributor

AFAIK you can't expect to reliably resize a Windows System partition (the step after you'd have a larger disk presented to Windows). I'm sure there may be some tools that made it work for some people - I guess its about how much you are willing to risk and about having a plan B..

I've done it using diskpart but non-system partitions only. Still, technically if you make a good backup of the box you can then restore it over a fresh Windows install with a bigger system partition.

About diskpart limitations - which is the built in tool to resize partitions - see the note about no system partitions, or partitions with pagefile.

Milo

0 Kudos
jroidl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Spina,

i have change the size of many VM´s. Data Disks and System Disks. Look at this Site

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=2k3resize

If you need to resize a systempartition, mount the disk in a other windows maschine and resize it with diskpart.

I hope this will help.

Jürgen

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

It looks like that option will let you grow the disk but not shrink it.

0 Kudos
jroidl
Contributor
Contributor

You can´t shrink a vmdk without converting them in a new VM. When you resize a vmdk the virtual disk is growing, but not the partition of the operating system. you have to resize the partition with some tools (of the OS oder 3rd party) if you want, or you could make a new partition.

What would be happen, if you shrink the vmdk ???

-> you would cut the partition of the OS. (that means, you filesystem is dead)

you can´t shrink vmdk with VC 2.5 (the only possible way is to grow it). I don´t now, if it possible on the console vith vmkfstools.

the only way to shrink a vmkd is to convert the VM to a new VM via VMConverter or 3rd party tools (acronis etc.)

J.R.

0 Kudos