VMware Cloud Community
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Requirements for a good restore of a vCenter 4.1

Dear users,

I'm planning to upgrade our vCenter from 4.1 to 5.0 and my checks and documentation are saying that the upgrade will succeed but I also want to make sure I have a good backup/restore plan ready in case of a disaster.
I found out that there is plenty to find online but because the great offer and many different version people are talking about is it hard to say which guidelines are good to follow for someone like me who has not a lot of experience with VMware.

So I thought let’s make a topic and put all the information that I have and that maybe you users could verify if my backup/restore strategy is complete or that I’m something missing and that you are willing to help me a hand in this.

My server information:
- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise
- 64-bit OS
- Databases located on same server
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Backup and documentation
1. I got a backup from both databases
- VIM_UMDB
- VIM_VCDB

2. I have a backup from the following SSL folder:
C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

3. I have a backup from the following vpxd.cfg folder:
C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter

4. I have the installation cd’s standing by from Windows, vCenter and MS-SQL

5. SQL Servername:
Servername\SQLEXP_VIM

6. SQL Authentication:
Windows Authentication

Missing points?
- I see people talking about different places about the SSL Certification backup, but which one is the correct one?
A: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\SSL
B: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL
C: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Virtual Center\SSL\

- I see people also talking about the folder sysprep, is this one necessary to backup for a good restore, and which location is this folder acutely located?

- What do I need to do with the Update Manager exactly, since I don’t understand what to do with that?

Quick easy step how I’m planning to restore our vCenter
1. Install Windows
2. Install SQL
3. Put the databases back into the SQL
4. Install the vCenter and point to the SQL Databases
5. Run vSphere to login

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One thing you didn't mention is whether or not the vCenter and SQL servers are physical or virtual.  Mine are virtual so I simply made clones and took vRanger backups before starting the upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One thing you didn't mention is whether or not the vCenter and SQL servers are physical or virtual.  Mine are virtual so I simply made clones and took vRanger backups before starting the upgrade.

0 Kudos
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear JDLangdon,

We are having virtual vCenter.

Kind regards,
MrHoek

0 Kudos
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I hope that someone finds time to answer my question, since only one has replied on the subject currently.

Kind regards,
Martijn

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I thought I did answer your question.

If everything is virtual, just make clones and take snapshots.

jd

0 Kudos
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear JDLangdon,

I don't work with vRanger and have no experience with it, but if I understand you correctly then in case of a disaster I can restore my complete vCenter with only vRanger.

This leaves me with the following question.
1. If I want to use vRanger, don't I need the vCenter already being installed?

Don't get me wrong I appricated that you are putting the time and effort in helping me, but how come my restore procedure is not good?

Kind regards,
Martijn

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You don't need to use vRanger.  Just take clones of he VM's using vCenter cloning options and snapshots.

0 Kudos
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear JDLangdon,

So my whole backup/restore plan was not nescassery?

Only a clone and a snapshot from my vCenter was the solution.

Kind regards,
Martijn

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would not say that your backup and restore plan was not necessary as it is very detailed and covers just about everything.  All I'm saying is that the advantage of having vCenter and SQL running as VM's is that you can use VMware cloning and snapshot technologies to simplify your plans.

What you could do is add a few extra steps that say 1) clone the vCenter/SQL VM(s) 2) implement snapshot of vCenter/SQL VM(s).  IN the event that everything does go south on you, your first point of restore would be to revert to the snapshots.  If this doesn't work, then you could revert to the clones.

Something to keep in mind is that in order to power off the vCenter server and power on the clone you will need to connect directly to the ESX(i) host server using the vSphere client.  What I've done is created a DRS group and pinned both my vCenter and my clone to the same ESX(i) host to make this easier.

As a last resort if all else failes, then you will need to start reinstalling everything.  This is where your existing plan will come in very handy.

MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear JDLangdon,

Thank you for explaining it so correctly to me.
I'm going to work on the clone and snapshot, as well I'm gonna prepare my own backup plan.

This way I have even more options to have a succesful restore in case of disaster.
Thank you for helping me.

Kind regards,
Martijn

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem at all Martijn.  Good luck with your upgrade.

0 Kudos