VMware Cloud Community
Jtokash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reporting on host and guest data (management style)

Howdy folks,

I've been having a tough time putting information together for management folks. Lately, our environment has been undergoing a lot of change and we're struggling to quickly provide data on a given set of hosts, such as what vm's are running on them, and what vm's have a vmdk on which datastore (and how much its alotted would be fantastic).

I don't have the free cycles to develop some Powershell scripts to get this for me, so I'm curious if anyone else has some quick and dirty solutions? I can get the data in VC fine, but i need it in text file or excel file format so that the data can then be manipulated.

Thoughts? recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several 3rd party products that provide this type of info, but I'm not sure of how much comes in a canned report. Check out VizionCore vCharter Pro, Veeam Reporter. There are other monitoring tools as well that can do similar dashboard like tools, but don't work directly with vmware yet.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This will get you started. I use this one to report on my vm's in a particular folder, and their cpu/memory/disk usage, and then report totals at the end.

Run it as '.\getFolderVM_Info.ps1 foldername outputfile.txt'

-KjB

P.S. Forgot that you'll need to do a 'get-vc vc_server_name' first, and then pick the folder you want to report, I use a cluster name or a resource name at a time.

Message was edited by: kjb007 : Added get-vc

0 Kudos
Jtokash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So would it be safe to say there is no dashboard like 3rd party tools, appliances or applications that might give me this kind of data already? I appreciated the PS script, as that will definitely get me going. I was hoping to avoid developing scripts at this stage though. We have a seperate endeavour moving to provide some direct db feed information in that regard.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several 3rd party products that provide this type of info, but I'm not sure of how much comes in a canned report. Check out VizionCore vCharter Pro, Veeam Reporter. There are other monitoring tools as well that can do similar dashboard like tools, but don't work directly with vmware yet.

-KjB

0 Kudos