VMware Cloud Community
hcimarkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repoint vCenter in a linked Mode Installation

Hi all,

there one vCenter Server A with embedded PSC and a SSO-Domain, and there is a second (embedded) linked vCenter Server B which is using the same SSO Domain. Both are running vSphere 6.7 U1 (and later). The problem is, that vCenter A should be replaced because the domain-fqdn (Microsoft) should be changed which is not supported in this constellation - so I decided to deploy a new vCenter A_new and connected Hosts and inventory from vCenter A, which worked as expected. But now, is there a option to repoint vCenter B to the new vCenter A_new?

There are some information about smsso utility repointing a domain, but i am not sure if this works in my constellation.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

Markus

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtbay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi hcimarkus,

Use the below command to perform cross domain repoint operation.But make sure to grab snapshot of both the nodes before performing any changes.You can run it from vcenter B (source) to Vcenter A (destination).

cmsso-util domain-repoint -m pre-check --src-emb-admin Administrator  --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domain

cmsso-util domain-repoint -m execute --src-emb-admin Administrator  --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domain

Look at the below document for further information

Repoint a Single Embedded Node from One Domain to an Existing Domain

Regards VB Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vCenter Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Virtbay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi hcimarkus,

Use the below command to perform cross domain repoint operation.But make sure to grab snapshot of both the nodes before performing any changes.You can run it from vcenter B (source) to Vcenter A (destination).

cmsso-util domain-repoint -m pre-check --src-emb-admin Administrator  --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domain

cmsso-util domain-repoint -m execute --src-emb-admin Administrator  --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domain

Look at the below document for further information

Repoint a Single Embedded Node from One Domain to an Existing Domain

Regards VB Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
hcimarkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Virtbay,

thanks for the reply. That worked for me. First, the repointing job failed, then I checked logs and decided a update of the source vCenter from 6.7U1 to 6.7U3. Then it worked really fine.

Markus