VMware Cloud Community
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Repoint embedded PSC to a external PSC

Hi All,

I have a lab environment deployed with a VCSA v6.5 and an external PSC. I need to add a secondary vCenter server v6.5 deployed on windows server 2012 with an embedded PSC to join the external PSC and enable linked mode between 2 lab environments.

As far as I know to reconfigure embedded PSC to an external one I need to have a replication in between them and replication can only configure during deployment of external PSC.

So since I already have my external PSC deployed how can I achieve this task. Kindly help me out.

Thanks in advance.

-Sajith

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve this by following below mentioned steps. I have already reconfigured a vCenter(with an embedded PSC) with an external PSC.

1. First I backed up 2nd vCenter DB with embedded PSC.
  2. Then I created a new vCenter VM with pointed to existing external PSC.
  3. Then I restored my backup of VCDB into new vCenter.

I found out all the configurations and historical data was available after restoring backup. Both vCenters are now connected to external PSC. I have faced a vSphere HA configuration issue after restoring DB but sorted it out by disabling and re enabling vSphere HA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Instructions available in VMware docs: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc/GUID-E7DFB362-1875-4BCF...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. I have looked into that but it's not my situation. I have 2 standalone vCenter environments with embedded platform controllers. I can configure replication partner with only one of the as per my knowledge so this method won't work I guess.

0 Kudos
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve this by following below mentioned steps. I have already reconfigured a vCenter(with an embedded PSC) with an external PSC.

1. First I backed up 2nd vCenter DB with embedded PSC.
  2. Then I created a new vCenter VM with pointed to existing external PSC.
  3. Then I restored my backup of VCDB into new vCenter.

I found out all the configurations and historical data was available after restoring backup. Both vCenters are now connected to external PSC. I have faced a vSphere HA configuration issue after restoring DB but sorted it out by disabling and re enabling vSphere HA.

0 Kudos