VMware Cloud Community
vboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Renaming an existing SQL ODBC DSN

Is there a way of renaming a DSN to an remote SQL db?  The original DSN is to be replaced by a SQL alias. I have the vCenter Server DSN, VMware Update Manager and VMware SRM DSNs to rename. I have seen no documentation on how to do this, so is the only way to uninstall and re-install vCenter Server, Update Manager and SRM respectively?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I assume that the OS in which vCenter is installed on is Windows Server 2008 R2?

If so, you can follow, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003928. The KB will show you how to edit your ODBC Connection

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can call the DSN whatever you'd like.  Just ensure you have the right login credentials and are pointing the correct DB.  From there test your connection and restart you vCenter and VUM services

0 Kudos
vboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy, thanks for the very quick reply.

While I can call the DSN anything I like, how do I reconfigure the existing vCenter Server to use the new DSN name?  vCenter Server will be looking for the old one to talk to the remote SQL db. There is a similar issue for Update Manager and SRM. There is no modify option for vCenter Server, Update Manager or SRM.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to edit the ODBC System DSN to point to the new DB.  From there restarting vCenter and VUM services should take care of it.  That should be all that is required.

0 Kudos
vboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy

I have mislead you. The database instance is staying the same, it's just that we are using an alias to it, so the DSN name changes, i.e. the DSN is changing from "vCenter_db" to "SQLvCenter2".  VMware vCenter is configured for "vCenter_db".

So how do I reconfigure vCenter Server to use the new DSN?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I thought I was on the same page as you, and still think I am.  If your vCenter DB has changed, you need to change your DSN.  To do that, it can be done through your ODBC Connections.

If I am still not on the same page, please provide a screen shot of what has changed and what you would like to change.

0 Kudos
vboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy

I have included a document which I hope explains what the issue is.  The DSN name has been partially obscured and so has the database server and instance.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I assume that the OS in which vCenter is installed on is Windows Server 2008 R2?

If so, you can follow, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003928. The KB will show you how to edit your ODBC Connection

0 Kudos
vboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks - that looks good.

0 Kudos