VMware Cloud Community
tpd1001
Contributor
Contributor

Removing permissions to poweroff hosts etc. but keeping deploy permissions

I've taken ownership of a development VC2.5/ESX3.5 HA/DRS cluster, and am struggling with getting roles/permissions to do what I want.

I'm looking to assign a folder of VMs & Templates to a group of users (using local users, not AD) such that the users can pretty much do anything (VM Administrator) to VMs within that folder including deploy from template, but preventing them from doing things that affect the solution as a whole like shutting down hosts, modifying cluster/datacentre permissions etc.

No matter what I do, they always seem to end up with either permissions to affect hosts, or inability to deploy.

What minimal permissions do I need to set on the root folder/datacentre/cluster/hosts to get this working?

Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to vCenter Server forum.

You will want to place the permissions at the level you desire and not at the root. For example.

New Role with console interaction only but no power on/off named NewRole

Virtual Machine and Template View

Datacenter

Folder A

Machine A

Machine B

Folder B <--- place NewRole here to affect all VMs in the folder

Do not put a virtual machine role on a resource pool, etc and do not have too many roles for any one user as it is what ever permissions that have the least abilities wins. If you deny at the top you are denied below. If you set wide open perms at the top and restrict below, the permisssions apply based on where they are in the tree.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah and to add to what Ed said, to make things easier, I create AD groups. I then shift the VM's for a particular group in a folder under VM and Templates.

That way if someone needs access to a set of VM's all I have to do is add them to the group. This will only work if your VC is a member of of the AD.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You will have to create a new role with all the privileges that you need. As per your requirement, you want to do most of the operations that VM administrator does except some delete operations. So you can do the following:

1. Clone "VM Administrator" privilege, and assign a new name for it.

2. Click on Edit role and uncheck all the privileges that you dont want to assign.

3. Create the permissions where ever you want with the above created role.

-Sandeep

0 Kudos