VMware Cloud Community
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing corrupt VM from Inventory in a Cluster

Hi all,

Im not able to remove an corrupt VM copied from an ESX unsupported VMWare workstarion version and added to the cluster by using the datastore browser. (mea maxima culpa...)

The status of this VM is "invalid", and i get an error when i try to remove this VM from the inventory.

I already tried to rename the particular folder on the datastore with the same result of error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Mabe i can remove the VM from the Inventory manually?

Should be in an XML file, afaik

In witch location (in a cluster) is the Inventory saved?

Tanks for Help

0 Kudos
9 Replies
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no ideas, how i can remove an invalid vm manualy from inventory?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried restarting the mgmt-vmware servie - from service console command line - service mgmt-vmware restart - once you do that see if you can remove the vm -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On witch of the 7 Hosts would you do so?

I've never started this VM. The VM was added only to the Cluster Inventory (Browsing Datastore)

Restart VC Service was not helpful.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

to add a vm it has to be added to a host in the cluster - either when you build a brand new vm or add to inventory you need to identify a host that it will be registered to - look on the summary tab of the vm it should identify the esx host t is registered to -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the mgmt restart didnt solve the problem...

I founf the inventory file (etc/vmware/hostd/vmInventory.xml) and cleared the invalid VM entry.

Now the VM is marked as orphaned...

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how about deleteing the VM from the command line ,, at command line take a root privilege and try to delete your VM.

0 Kudos
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i already renamed the folder and the .vmx file, so the host shouldn't "see" the vm anymore...

0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you tried disconnecting the host, remove it from VC, then add it back in ?. ( the host on which your VM was/is registered)

Or.. restarting the vc service on the host ( service vmware-vpxa restart )

0 Kudos
geeko71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

disconnect or restarting the vpxa doesnt resolve my peoblem...

But after an host reboot, the invalid VM was gone.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos