VMware Cloud Community
chriswheeler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing an ESX Server from VC

I want to move VC off of my workstation and install it on a server. When I click remove it prompts me with:

"Removing a computer resource will also remove all of itsvirtual machines and resource pools. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Am I correct to assume it means it will just remove them from Virtual Center and they will still be intact on the ESX server? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct. You will need to back up and restore the VC database on to the new VC server, or you can re-import the ESX servers, and VM's, and re-create resource pools if you don't have a complicated setup. Uninstalling VC will not remove VM's from ESX servers.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct. You will need to back up and restore the VC database on to the new VC server, or you can re-import the ESX servers, and VM's, and re-create resource pools if you don't have a complicated setup. Uninstalling VC will not remove VM's from ESX servers.

0 Kudos
chriswheeler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to confirm it before I went through with it.

0 Kudos
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello. I have some ESX to disconnect from a Virtual center (2.0.1) and to reconncet to a new fresh installed VC 2.5 with new database.

I had yet moved some one without problem (just after the reconnection I must restart mgmt-vmware services to be able to reconnect the hosts).

Now I have some other who has in network configuration different vlans configured and running VM connected to these vlan network. Are these configurations stored into the ESX and then when I reconnect these ESX, VC re read my network configuration ??

thanks

0 Kudos