bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor

Removing Administrators in vCenter 4?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there a particular procedure you have to follow to remove Administrators from the permissions in vCenter 4? I've cloned

the group, but can't seem to be able to remove it...

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert

Yup - very sensible - but do it by using the initial fixed admin role as suggested above (and then changing the users/groups in it) - not by cloning the admin role, and then trying to leave the old one empty.

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dinny
Expert
Expert

Click on the object at the level that the permission is assigned to.

i.e. hosts and clusters

Select the permissions tab.

Click on the id/group you want to remove.

Rt click and delete

Dinny

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

just don't delete it before you have another group/user assigned the Administrator role, or you could lock yourself out.

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dinny,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I had tried that, but I get the message:

The requested change cannot be completed because it could leave the system without full administrative privileges for a user or group...

I have a 'Clone' group which has the same permissions as Administrators that has permissions all the way down the tree.

Gary.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

I'm not certain what you mean by a clone group?

I am guessing that you mean you have cloned the role - then added a separate security group to that cloned role?

Personally I would leave the existing administrators role as is.

Just add the new security group/user to the existing admin role.

Then just delete the old unwanted security group/user in the way that I initially described.

The admin role is fixed - it probably (quite sensibly) no longer lets you leave it empty or delete it?

Dinny.

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's a 'cloned' role of Administrator. I'm looking to remove Administrators as all our

support team have domain admins rights, and I want to limit the 'administrator' access

within vCenter.

Gary.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Yup - very sensible - but do it by using the initial fixed admin role as suggested above (and then changing the users/groups in it) - not by cloning the admin role, and then trying to leave the old one empty.

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dinny.

All nicely locked down now!

Gary.

0 Kudos