VMware Cloud Community
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing Administrators in vCenter 4?

Hi,

Is there a particular procedure you have to follow to remove Administrators from the permissions in vCenter 4? I've cloned

the group, but can't seem to be able to remove it...

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yup - very sensible - but do it by using the initial fixed admin role as suggested above (and then changing the users/groups in it) - not by cloning the admin role, and then trying to leave the old one empty.

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Click on the object at the level that the permission is assigned to.

i.e. hosts and clusters

Select the permissions tab.

Click on the id/group you want to remove.

Rt click and delete

Dinny

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

just don't delete it before you have another group/user assigned the Administrator role, or you could lock yourself out.

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dinny,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I had tried that, but I get the message:

The requested change cannot be completed because it could leave the system without full administrative privileges for a user or group...

I have a 'Clone' group which has the same permissions as Administrators that has permissions all the way down the tree.

Gary.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hiya,

I'm not certain what you mean by a clone group?

I am guessing that you mean you have cloned the role - then added a separate security group to that cloned role?

Personally I would leave the existing administrators role as is.

Just add the new security group/user to the existing admin role.

Then just delete the old unwanted security group/user in the way that I initially described.

The admin role is fixed - it probably (quite sensibly) no longer lets you leave it empty or delete it?

Dinny.

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it's a 'cloned' role of Administrator. I'm looking to remove Administrators as all our

support team have domain admins rights, and I want to limit the 'administrator' access

within vCenter.

Gary.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yup - very sensible - but do it by using the initial fixed admin role as suggested above (and then changing the users/groups in it) - not by cloning the admin role, and then trying to leave the old one empty.

Dinny

0 Kudos
bronyrafon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dinny.

All nicely locked down now!

Gary.

0 Kudos