VMware Cloud Community
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

Removed LUNs still showing on one FC path

Hi,

I have a vmware cluster with 4 hosts running ESXi 5 upd2. Recently i have removed some LUNs and i have noticed that in the Storage Adapters section, for two hosts, on one FC card on each host, down in the DEVICE view, it still remembers the old LUNs. They show as DEAD OR ERROR, but they are still there. This does not happen with the other 2 hosts. What could be the reason for this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you remove/unpresent the LUNs without first detaching them from each of the hosts?

Were these LUNs used/formatted as VMFS datastores?

André

0 Kudos
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Yes i have deleted them first. And rescanned the HBA on the hosts. If i try to rescan the HBA it takes forever and returns an error.

Can this be fixed somehow?

Best regards!

0 Kudos
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I get: An error occurred while communicating with the host. Call "HostDatastoreSystem.QueryAvailableDiskForVmfs" for object "datastoreSystem-31" on vCenter Server <server_name> failed.

0 Kudos
alexandru_ilie
Contributor
Contributor

What i did was to restart the host. I did manage to log on to the vms, take them down and power them up on another host. After that:

• Reactivate the zone on the san switch for the affected hosts.
  • Take the host into maintenance mode as a precaution
  • In the configuration area of the host, in storage adapters click each adapter. Check for volumes with operational state as mounted and for hardware acceleration unknown.
  • Right click on each of them and choose detach - vCenter tells you if you can detach it or not
  • Now the volume will appear as unmounted
  • Take the host out of maintenance mode.

It should be ok.

0 Kudos