VMware Cloud Community
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removal of a folder from virtual machines and templates view

I have administrator rights and for some reason I am locked out from removing a folder that was created in virtual machines and templates. It keeps saying you do not have the priviledge to delete the selected items. Is this important no, but I would like to use the name on the folder again. So I'm sure somebody has run into this once before.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there are no VM's inside the folder in question? Also, does the local administrators group have Administrator rights on the vCenter Server at the Hosts & Clusters level? Sounds like a permissions issue to me.

Do you have another admin who can log in and try this?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
norregaard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

are you sure you have administrator rights on that datacenter? if yes, maybe restart the VI client and restart the virtual center service to start with...

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was hoping to avoid that, I will have to restart the service after 9:00 est because of our west coast users.

thanks

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restarted the virtualcenter service and no go still can't delete the folder. It is the only object when you right click it everything is greyed out except migrate storage.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there are no VM's inside the folder in question? Also, does the local administrators group have Administrator rights on the vCenter Server at the Hosts & Clusters level? Sounds like a permissions issue to me.

Do you have another admin who can log in and try this?

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes no virtual images

Yes local administrators group has admin rights at Hosts and clusters.

Yes I know its a permission issue.

And I just had the other admin delete the folder

Thanks

And you should get the points for the correct answer

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sounds like you might be a member of another group that has been granted rights closer to (or on) that folder, whose proximity overrode your admin privileges granted at the root of Hosts & Clusters... a group that the other admin (who was able to delete the folder) is not member of.

0 Kudos