VMware Cloud Community
jfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Remote console disconnected Server 2008 VMs

Hello,

I have had an issue for a while now where Windows Server 2008 VM remote console in the Infrastructure Client will disconnect themselves if inactive for a while. I have searched extensively on this, but not found a lot of people with this exact issue. It does not seem to happen with older OSes, such as XP or 2003. This has been happening for as long as I can recall and upgrades to vCenter, VI client, and ESX do not seem to affect the behavior. I am on vCenter 2.5 U5 and ESX 3.5 boxes. Here is the sequence of events:

1) Connect to vCenter Server via Virtual Infrastructure Client on my Vista workstation

2) Right-click on a Windows Server 2008 VM and select "Open Console"

3) A separate console window opens and behaves as expected. I log in to the VM and work as usual.

3) After several minutes of inactivity (15 minutes or more), I go back to the VM's console window. It is now black inside the window. None of the controls work in the console window and the console screen stays black. I check the Tasks & Events tab of the VM and see that it says "User logged event: Remote Console on (VM) disconnected)."

4) Because the console window is "dead," I close the remote console window. Then I right-click on the VM and again select "Open Console." The VM is perfectly fine and unaffected by this. It is just the remote console window that is dying off. Very strange as this does not happen with Server 2003 VMs.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone else encountered this?

0 Kudos
Johnvan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I have exactly the same problem. I've been hoping someone would respond with a solution.

Sorry I can't help.

John

0 Kudos