VMware Cloud Community
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remote Console slow since VC2.5

We noticed a serious reduction in remote console speed for all our VM guests since we upgraded Virtual Center to 2.5 Build 84767, and upgraded our VC clients. When we use Windows remote desktop, all seems OK. Its specific to the remote console from the VC client.

Clients and servers are on a high speed backbone; its is not a LAN issue.

Is anyone experiencing this, and/or have a solution for it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad it helped.

-KjB

Don't forget to mark correct or helpful posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't noticed any issues in the consoles. Have you checked to make sure your NICs are auto-neg, if that is what you're doing, and are up at 1000/Full?

-KjB

0 Kudos
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On all of our servers, at the ESX level, we fix the speed and duplex.

I doubt that it is a NIC speed issue. The VM's are performing OK..its the remote console that is the problem.

As mentioned, when using Windows remote desktop the speed is normal.....its a vm thing.

Key point, We never had this issue from 2.5.x, 3.0.2 and recently upgraded to ESX3.5 with VC2.5

It is occuring on 4 different ESX hosts, and 30+ VM machines

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not at the ESX level that I was referring to. Connect your vi client directly to your ESX host, and check if the console appears slow there. Then, go back to vc, and connect to the same vm console there. If there is a difference, then there may be speed difference where the vc is connected to the network.

-KjB

0 Kudos
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

While chasing other slowness issues I found the cause.

The 3.02 to 3.5U1 upgrade had reset ALL my nics in my Dell 6850's back to autonegotiate.

Fortunately...they didn't re-assign the nics similar to other previous upgrades.

The service console was running at 100 half, and my 4 NIC bond was running on 1 NIC; 3 were in standby.

This did not occur on my Dell 2970 severs....

I suspect that we inherited something from when the 6850's started at V2.5.1.

I manually set all nics to fixed speeds again. I moved the 3 nics from standby back into the 4 nic bond. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad it helped.

-KjB

Don't forget to mark correct or helpful posts.

0 Kudos