VMware Cloud Community
BWilburn
Contributor
Contributor

Redirecting vCenter server to new SSO instance

I have a 2008 R2 5.5 vCenter server with SSO installed.  I just built a new 2012 R2 5.5 U1 with a new SSO instance on it.  All hosts are now migrated to the new 55 U1 server.  The decision to build the new server was to get it vCenter onto 2012 R2 and fix an issue with Storage Views.

However after applying Microsoft Patches last week the 5.5 vCenter server lost functionality in that at the Inventory service broke.  Also SSO is not functioning correctly, although all services are online.

Additionally the SSO password had to be reset, and while I can log into the WEB interface, I can’t “see anything” as the inventory service is broken, but the service is up.

Additionally we have a 5.5 vCenter server (that points to the Old 5.5 server for SSO validation) that manages the Horizon View VDI clients.  With the breakdown on the 5.5 SSO service, I get the following when I try to log into the VDI vCenter server: Vpx::Common::Sso::DomainUnresolvedExceptions(RemoteGetDomainNames RuntimeServiceFault expression: sso.fault.InfernalFault)

I really don’t care about getting the old 5.5 server back up and running, outside of the exercise in fixing it, and would like to re-point the VDI vCenter server to the new 5.5 U1 SSO instance.  I’ve tried to reinstall SSO, it points to the old instance.

Any ideas on how to re-point the VDI vCenter server to the new SSO instance?  Without being able to log into the VIC or WEB vCenter interface on the old 5.5 server? 

I have a ticket request in with Tech Support but they have yet to get around to calling me.

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks in advance!

Bryan Wilburn

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware KB: Re-pointing and re-registering VMware vCenter Server 5.1 / 5.5 and components

Note that you will need to point the Inventory Service as well, and then also reregister vCenter to the Inventory Service.

If the Web Client fails to repoint to the new SSO instance it's no big deal as it's a complete binary package and a simple uninstall and reinstall pointing to the correct lookupservice URL will "solve" the issue.

0 Kudos
huntrock18
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this same issue. I however could login to the web client with a domain account, and administrator@vsphere.local. This was after an upgrade. I can't confirm whether or not patches were applied prior to upgrading. BWillburn, what Microsoft patches did you apply? Maybe if we compare we can figure out which patch broke vCenter.

I systematically upgraded every component, and verified after each upgrade that the corresponding component did not break my vSphere environment. SSO, Web Client, and Inventory Service had no hiccups, logged in to the web client and the c# client with no issues. Once I "successfully" upgrade the vCenter component, that is when hell broke loose. My Recent Tasks was throwing "Unable to create the managed object for - urn:vmomi:TaskManager:TaskManager:1086A58C-13EA-4A65-BF3D-3A468AB1CB59. Also was getting the "Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems: https://vcentername.com:443/SDK"

I uninstalled vCenter, leaving existing certs and SQL database intact, then re installed. Once I re installed, the issue was resolved. I don't know why this happened, if I had to guess the upgrade checker missed some "bad data" somewhere with the vCenter component which left vCenter in this unhealthy state.

0 Kudos
bhanupratapk
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday we too had the same issue when restarted the VC 5.5

When trying to login to vsphere client we get the following error, and when tried to login with vSphere Web Client it shows an error Login failed due to invalid credentials for one or more vCenter Server systems, and the inventory shows null.

Error:

a general system error occured: user XXXXXXX, cause: class Vpx::common::Sso::DomainUnresolvedException(RemoteGetDomainNames RuntimeServiceFault Exception: sso.fault.RuntimeServiceFault)

when we check the server time for VC and Web client server the time difference is more than 12 mins when we changed the time and kept in the proper sync and tried the issue got solved.

so please try to check the time sync between servers.

Regards,

Pratap Koonisetty.

0 Kudos