VMware Cloud Community
CrisL
Contributor
Contributor

Reconfigure / move VMKernel Port to another vSwitch

I am fairly new to VMWare networking and would like to verify if it is possible to reconfigure the VMKernel port to another vswitch through Virtual Center with running VM's? The hosts do not use NFS so I was hoping to remove VMotion from the one vSwitch and add it to the Service Console vSwitch - ideally without impacting the running guest systems. I am looking to use the free vWwitch to create a DMZ network.

Any thoughts or words of advice are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can create a new vmkernel port on the other vswitch and it won't impact your running VMs (assuming you're also not using iSCSI). Once you have the new vmkernel ports setup on all your hosts, you can run vmkping on each of the host to ensure that you have connectivity to the other hosts, that your VLANs (if in use) are setup OK, etc.

You'll also want to ensure that you check the Vmotion enabled option when you create the new vmkernel port. Once you enable it on the new vmkernel port, it will be disabled on the old one.

0 Kudos
CrisL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your assistance Dave. I was able to remove the old and create the new without impacting running VM's.

0 Kudos