VMware Cloud Community
ronniefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reclaim disk space from vm back to host

I ran a shrink volumn on a 2008 Windows server. Is there a way I reclaim that disk space that is now unallocated back to the host? I installed VmTools and ran a shrink there but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Treat the VM as a physical machine. Once the conversion process is done, you will have two VM's. Power off the "original", power on the new VM, ensure everything comes up ok, if it does, delete the "original".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is your vCenter Host a VM? You could use VMware Converter. Otherwise maybe something like partition magic.

0 Kudos
ronniefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes the vCenter Server 4 is a vm but its on a differnet host. Basically I used the local disk for the OS installs for the vm's. I was a little too generous with disk space and want to reclaim some of the unsed diskspace. I gave the Windows Server 2008 a partition size of 40gb and then I shank it in server 2008 to 30gb. There is 10gb of unllocated space just sitting there that I want to add back to my host. Make sense?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, it makes complete sense, but I think your best option to shrink the disk is to use VMware Converter. Just use an ESX Host as the destination. This will give you an option to resize the disk. Once the new VM comes online, you can delete the original.

0 Kudos
ronniefritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But can it be done without deleting the vm?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Treat the VM as a physical machine. Once the conversion process is done, you will have two VM's. Power off the "original", power on the new VM, ensure everything comes up ok, if it does, delete the "original".

0 Kudos