VMware Cloud Community
JohnFromOshawa
Contributor
Contributor

Reclaim Deleted Disk Storage

Hello virtual people,

I am quite a novice administrator, so if you don't mind and do respond please add a bit of extra detail for me, Smiley Happy

I've been vm'ing a bunch or servers into out blade center, and into our DS3400 san, on one server after I vm'd it, I needed to add a 2nd 200 gig disk, to use temporally as G:, so its been a few weeks, and today I remove the partition from windows, edited the vm settings and remove (disk 2), however the 200 gigs wasnt made available back to my specific datastore. I looked all over, recanned, refreshed etc etc, pretty much everywere I saw the option, yet my space is still gone.

Any idea? unless ..........

My storage controller B is causing an issue, because in search trying to find out why my space wasnt recoved, I noticed in the IBM storage manager, that controller B is having issues, ( which I will investigate further tommorow ) ( can it not reclaim my 200 gig or unmap because of the controller? ) aswell, I can't create a new datatore04 with our available space in LUN1, clearly controller realted, aswell, the controller are out of sync by about a min, and I can't sync them.same error 1008

I highly doubt it, but deleting the disk on the VM, in the manor I did cause this? I am only looking for an answer in regards to reclaiming the 200 gigs is disk space,

Thanks alot

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I've been vm'ing a bunch or servers into out blade center, and into our DS3400 san, on one server after I vm'd it, I needed to add a 2nd 200 gig disk, to use temporally as G:, so its been a few weeks, and today I remove the partition from windows, edited the vm settings and remove (disk 2), however the 200 gigs wasnt made available back to my specific datastore. I looked all over, recanned, refreshed etc etc, pretty much everywere I saw the option, yet my space is still gone.

did you actually delete from disk, or just remove from inventory. The default is remove from inventory. So the .vmdk assocated with that VM is still in your datastore. You can delete if from your datastore, but be careful to delete the correct one... It may have something like _1 name.

0 Kudos