VMware Cloud Community
steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recent Task wont go away, how can I remove it?

Hi All,

My first post to the community, hopefully I'm in the right place... I'm a new ESX 3.5.0 (110268) user, with 4 hosts.

Anyway, to my question...

I have an "Import Machine" task in my Recent Tasks pane in VI Client that just won't go away, status of "The task was canceled by a user". Other tasks seems to come and go as expected.

How can I remove this "stuck" task? There doesn't seem to be a remove/delete option.

Many thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Typically restarting the Virtual Infrastructure Client you are using and at worst, the Virtual Center server itself will flush out the "stuck" tasks.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restart the Virtual Center service and see if this helps.

If not use SSH to connect to the related host. The command below will restart your managment service and possibly solve sticky stuff on a host basis. I use this to solve most of the sticky stuff.

service vmware-mgmt restart

steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hiya,

Many thanks for the reply. Would that have the same affect as rebooting the host completely? I assume it will. If so, then I'm afraid it hasn't helped.

The problem existed while I was running the dodgy August 12th buggy version of 3.5u2, and since then i've upgraded it to the latest version via CD, so it has been totally rebooted since then.

Any other ideas? Smiley Happy

Many thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Typically restarting the Virtual Infrastructure Client you are using and at worst, the Virtual Center server itself will flush out the "stuck" tasks.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can you see what process are running on ESX service console by using ps -ef | grep "anythingspecifichere" and use kill -9 PID command to kill it if you know something is running. I would use ps -ef | grep "machinename.vmx" to see anything running with that specific virtual machine being imported.

Usually restarting VC server services will clear all tasks but sometimes has to clear it from kill -9 PID command.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, all sorted.

I had restarted the host, but for some reason didn't think to restart the Virtual Centre server itself, doh. I'd just vMotioned it to another host, so it never got rebooted. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I said restart the Virtual Center service (or server) Smiley Wink

Glad you got it fixed. Sticky bits are a common occurance in VMWare

0 Kudos