VMware Cloud Community
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recent Task just showing as "in progress" and cancel button is greyed out....

Hi,

I've just ran vmware converter to convert one of my physical servers to a virtual one hosted on an esx server, the conversion went fine.... I made a few changes to the vm when it was in the VI Client which worked fine, I then wanted to power on the new VM but it just says in progress and the cancel button is greyed out....

There are no outstanding questions to be answered for the VM...

Does anyone know how to cancel the task without having to reboot the host and how is it possible to power on the VM, I've done P2V before and its worked fine....

Help! Smiley Happy

REgards

Dave

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kimono
Expert
Expert

First try close / reopen VI Client, sometimes does it for me. Next try service mgmt-vmware restart on the host in question. IF that still doesn't do it, restart Virtual Center Service at a good time.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doesnt that restart some of the virtual servers sometimes?

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I ran it anyway and it didnt restart the virtual servers but its still there with cancel greyed out Smiley Sad

Next idea?

What will restarting the virtual centre service do for me - isnt that going to affect all the hosts and vms in my virtual farm?

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert

Nope, all those suggestions won't hurt the VMs. The service mgmt-restart will cause your host to drop off virtual center for a few minutes, but the VMs will be fine.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I restarted the service but no joy....

VMWare has these little frustrating bugs sometimes - something you would simply expect to work and it doesnt sometimes grrrr

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you log directly into the ESX server in question using the VI client instead of logging into Virtual Center? Then see if the VM in question has actually done anything (started, etc.)

I have this problem all the time. The Virtual Center service and or service on the ESX server (is Daemon the correct term?) get stuck and I have to restart either or both. That usually fixes it. But you should always be able to log directly into the ESX server itself (thus bypassing VC) and see the true status of the VM.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Yes there is a bug in 3.0.1 that was finally patched in May if you restart mgmt-vmware and have auto startups enabled your VM's will shutdown and reboot.

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX11

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I log into the ESX server directly it shows that the VM is just shutdown - what do I have to do to get them back in sync?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you've already restarted mgmt-vmware and the VirtualCenter service on the VC Server then try re-starting the vmware-vpxa service on the ESX server.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try starting the VM (when connected directly to the ESX host) and then connect back to VC to see if it now shows the true state of the VM (or if it still shows as off).

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everybody...

In the end I restarted the virtual center server service and the vm showed as not powered up so I powered it up and everything is now OK.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos