VMware Cloud Community
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

Receiving error while attempting to view console through virtual client

Error connecting: Cannot connect to host HOSTNAME; A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Do you want to try again?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

I have never seen this issue but I would be curious to if if you removed the VM from inventory and re-registered it from VC.. Also do you have other VMs on this host that you can try to connect to?

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing as I just learned this product, though very familiar, i've been hesitant to "remove from inventory" or "delete from disk" in fear of losing everything without knowing what I was doing. I could get to one or two of the VMs and one or two I couldn't. I also was receiving some DCOM errors on the machine that was running the Virtual Center. I'm thinking maybe it's not seeing the COS? I rebooted a few minutes ago. We'll see how it goes. I'll give some pts if I get it resolved Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

A couple of more things to check -

-Make sure that port 903 is open between the machine from which you are running the virtual client and the ESX Server

-You can also try the following:

1. Add this line to /etc/vmware/config:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

2. Type this command:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service xinetd restart

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

No problem.. The remove from inventory is very safe though I would stay

away from Delete from disk unless you were very sure you did not need

the vmdk or VM itself anymore.

Registering the VM can be accomplished two ways after it is removed from

inventory with the following...

1. Browse the datastore from VI Client by right clicking the

Datastores\LUN after highlighting the host. Find your vmx file

associated with the VM in the volume, right click and select add to

inventory.

2. Log into the SC and run vmware-cmd -r

/vmfs/volumes//vmname/vmname.vmx

The VM itself will even run if it is not in inventory in VI Client with

no affect on service.. Cool huh?

If the VC Server doesn't "see" the COS then the Host should show as

disconnected. hmmm.. You may try removing it and readding it to the VC

Server from the VI Client.. This too is a harmless task and does not

affect service..

Good luck.

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the feedback. Would it rule some of these out if I told you that

A) I have 5 VMs on this host. I can console via the virtual center interface into 3 of them, and not into 2 of them

B) Yesterday I could console into all of them.

C) I changed nothing between then and now.

D) I can RDP into all of the VMs. But when this error occurs, it kicks me off my RDP session to the VM i'm trying to console to and won't let me back in for about a minute.

So here's the scenario. RDP into a server running the Virtual Center. Have Virtual Center console open. At same time I open an RDP session on my local machine to one of the VMs in question. As soon as I highlight the VM in the VC and choose the Console button, everything freezes and i get the error above. Immediately following my RDP session to that VM giving the error kicks me out. I keep my connection to the original server running VC. Hope this is clear. It's very scary.

DFN

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

Bryan,

Thanks for your tips. Step 2 is a complete blurr for me as like I said i'm very new to command line interfaces. I am on the other hand very quick to pick things up so i'll give it a shot on a development environment when I get a chance.

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor

I rebooted one of the ESX hosts in the cluster and confirmed that the services that the guy above stated were started (mgmt-vmware and the other one) and they were. Everything resolved with a reboot. Feels more and more like windows every day... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Glad to hear..

If the reboot fixed it you could have probably just started the

services....

service mgmt-vmware restart

Is a good command to know. This will restart the hostd process that

interacts with VC.. But be careful running this when you have running

production VMs on the Host..