VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reasons for limiting Virtual Center Console access

We run the latest 2.5 build of Virtual Center with the latest 3.5 build of ESX.

Our engineering staff has full access to Virtual Center but, I have limited our NOC permissions. One common request from the NOC is console access. I hesitate to give them this because, in our group I've see it used for convenience rather than need. If this is my only reason, I'll probably be forced to acquiesce. I wanted to see if there are other reasons to restrict VC console access that I'm not thinking of. Perhaps around resources or other?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Correct, you don't want users to use the VIC console as it will take away resources from your service console.

The COS runs by default on processor 0 core 0. So even if other CPU resources are available having users end up using the console instead of remote desktop software such as RDP/Citrix means that your server becomes unmanagable. It might even cause problems on running VMs with plenty of CPU available on the rest of the host.

If you use proper remote desktop software -in a VMware guest- it gets the ability to run on any core and it is properly limited to the resources you assign it to have.

So YES you are correct, you do not want to give just anyone VIC console access.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Correct, you don't want users to use the VIC console as it will take away resources from your service console.

The COS runs by default on processor 0 core 0. So even if other CPU resources are available having users end up using the console instead of remote desktop software such as RDP/Citrix means that your server becomes unmanagable. It might even cause problems on running VMs with plenty of CPU available on the rest of the host.

If you use proper remote desktop software -in a VMware guest- it gets the ability to run on any core and it is properly limited to the resources you assign it to have.

So YES you are correct, you do not want to give just anyone VIC console access.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also the network overhead is less when we use remote desktop/putty etc.

-Sandeep