VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick and simple question...VCB supported on your VC server?

Quick and simple question...VCB supported on your VC server - why/why not? If not supported, will it work?

I have ready in a previous posting that VCB on VC server has known "issues". Any idea what those "issues" are?

Ok, that wasnt quick or simple...

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Quick and simple question...VCB supported on your VC

server - why/why not? If not supported, will it

work?

VC and VCB use different versions of vcbMounter to access the vmfs file system and there versions are not compatible at this time.

Jason

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure if it's fixed, but installing VCB on the VC server would cause issues with templates.

Regardless, it's best practice to run this seperatley.

0 Kudos
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I have also gotten word from VMware support that there are "issues" with VCB running on the VC physical machine, although I havent seen any documentation stating so. It would be nice to see exactly what the "issues" are.

In any case, I have been instructed to sepreate the two. Because I already have the physical machine zoned into the LUNs for the ESX servers we will be backing up I think I will move the VC install which should be fairly easy.

My question is (and forgive me if this is posted in 100 other places in the forums but I just cant seem to find any), can VC run on a VM?

Thanks for the help.

Peter

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My question is (and forgive me if this is posted in

100 other places in the forums but I just cant seem

to find any), can VC run on a VM?

Yes, VC can run on a VM. It would be to your benefit to implement both DRS and HA if you plan on doing so, but it will work.

VCB on the other hand, requires a physical server.

Jason

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Quick and simple question...VCB supported on your VC

server - why/why not? If not supported, will it

work?

VC and VCB use different versions of vcbMounter to access the vmfs file system and there versions are not compatible at this time.

Jason

0 Kudos