VMware Cloud Community
MikeTheAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Questions about Dell Management Plug-in

Hello;

I have a few questions about setting up the Dell Management Plug-In for Vcenter.  I apologize if this was posted in the incorrect forum.

The Dell Management plug-in mentions installing OMSA, and then connecting to OMSA on port 1311.  I have installed OMSA for ESXi 5 (As per this guide http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/eslvmwre/plugin/1_0_1/UG/ug.pdf) but port 1311 is not up and listening.  I have setup OMSA on my ESXi server to send snmp traps.

Is the web gui for OMSA required for Dell Management Plug in?

Anyone have any luck setting up Dell management Plug-in on Esxi 5?

Thank you

Mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mclark
Expert
Expert

So you installed the OMSA agent on the ESXi Server and then you pinged port 1311 to see if it responded? Did you check the ESXi firewall to be sure the port is opened? Are you sure the agent installed correctly?

By the way, here is a page on Dell's site that talks more in-depth about installing OMSA on ESXi 5 than the document link that you provided.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1977.aspx

MikeTheAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response,

I have followed that guide and am a bit confused, as it says I should install a Web Administration tool on a management server ((This may be to remotely manage OMSA)).

You must install the Server Administrator Web Server separately on a

management station. You can download the Web Server from

support.dell.com.

As for my ESXI 5.0 server, I have enabled a firewall rule for port 1311:

ESXI host:

#showing OMSA is installed as per this guide http://media.community.dell.com/en/dtc/attach/omsa6.5%20for%20esxi5_kb.pdf

/etc/vmware/firewall # esxcli software vib list | grep dell -i

OpenManage            6.5-0000                            Dell    VMwareAccepted    2011-12-01

esxcli network firewall ruleset list | grep OMSA

OMSA                   true

/etc/vmware/firewall # esxcli network firewall ruleset rule list | grep OMSA

OMSA                Inbound    TCP       Dst              1311      1311

OMSA                Outbound   TCP       Dst              1311      1311

OMSA                Inbound    UDP       Dst              1311      1311

OMSA                Outbound   UDP       Dst              1311      1311

Showing I am able to connect to port 22, but not port 1311

mike-# telnet 10.100.40.98 22
Trying 10.100.40.98...
Connected to 10.100.40.98.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.6
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
mike- # telnet 10.100.40.98 1311
Trying 10.100.40.98...
telnet: connect to address 10.100.40.98: Connection refused
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

The document you linked to says that during configuration you specify the location of an OMSA web server, and then the plug-in will allow you to launch that through vCenter. I guess they didn't want to bundle the OMSA web server with the plug-in appliance itself, so you will need to install that piece also.

Not sure why your telnet would not work to port 1311. I would install the OMSA web server and see if it will connect to the ESXi server. I don't suppose you have a network firewall that would be blocking that port?

0 Kudos