VMware Cloud Community
soleblazer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Question on license files

Hi all. I have a quick question. I have a existing ESX 3.0.1/2.0.1 ESX environment. I have an existing licnese file (server one). I am planning on building a new ESX 3.5/2.5 environment from scratch, and then move the vm's over across the network. Not all of the vm's are making the trip.

My question is on licensing. I plan to bring up the new site and shutdown the old site. Will my existing license work or does it have to be changed somehow? I am hoping I can pull the license and put it on the new license server, and bammo it works just like that.

I cannot stress enough that the old site will be shutdown, I only will have one environment when this is done.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes the license file is valid with 3.0 and 3.5 - it sounds like you might not have enough licenses to run both simultaneously so I woud build the 3.5 using evaluation licenses move the vms over and upgrade the evaluation licenses to your official license when the migration is done -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos