VMware Cloud Community
vmjoe_private
Contributor
Contributor

Question about domain-repointing a vCenter

Hello

I've once used cmsso-util domain-repoint to consolidate two vCenter appliances into one (then migrated stuff and eventually got rid of one instance).

But now I have a situation, where the instance to domain-repoint is on Windows (6.7 U3b), which means the command cmsso-util domain-repoint is not available.

I wanted to convert/migrate it into an appliance then, but that's also not possible, as the wizard only supports migrations that are also a version upgrade! "Horizontal" conversions from Windows to VCSA are not supported! As there's no 6.7 U4 or vSphere 7.0 yet, it seems I can't get rid of the Windows vCenter now?

Then I had the idea to repoint the Windows instance first to an external PSC (appliance), and in a second step domain-repoint it to the existing target vCenter (appliance 6.7 U3b).

But I'm not sure if this is possible - would the cmsso-util command be still issued on the Windows vCenter, or on the PSC?

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You can create a new VCSA and migrate the configurations. Then unhook the Esxi hosts and connect them to the new VCSA.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos