VMware Cloud Community
ga6264
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Proper shutdown and Startup

We have an Intel modular server that houses our VM's. We have the Vcenter 4 and EXS 4 build 208167. We will be moving to a new building next month and wanted to know what the proper way to shutdown and start up. We have 1 datacenter, 1 Cluster and 2 host and each host has 3 VM servers on it.Can all this be done in the vsphere client? I am a total newbie with Vmware and any help is greatly appreciated?

Thank you,

Gilbert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hello,

Well let me add some spices to this as last month I was involved in similar case when we replace our UPS:)

• list down all your applications with their dependencies, such as Exchange it depends on the DC etc etc...

• If you are accessing your infrastructure via management server or iLO via that server, shutdown this server at last point.

• If your vCenter as VM, remember it was running on which host.

• Shutdown your VMs as per the order your listed in the first point

• But your hosts into maintenance mode and Shutdown your hosts, remember if they are blade servers DON’T insert them into your enclosure, have a coffee and give some times to allow all your network devices and your SAN to come up then insert the blade servers as then will boot automatically during the startup procedure.

• Shutdown your network switches.

• Shutdown your SAN Storage

• You may think of allowing the hosts itself to automatically starts the VMs for your, then you have to consider that as well. If your vCenter is hosted internally beside your DNS/DC infrastructure, then allow the hosts to start your DNS first, then your vCenter. Also remember if your hosts depends on your DNS/DC infrastructure start that host first and make sure your DNS up and running then start the other hosts.

The list which i have prepared I don't have it infornt of me know atleaset I can give you all the steps that I have followed.

hope you can make good startup/shutdown/startup procedure out of the above.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Revisit your posts and award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aloha - Is your VC server a VM or physical??

Bill

idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if your vcenter is a VM, shutdown all VM inclusive of the VM. then shutdown off hosts via remote cli or via KVM. if the vcenter is a physical server. off all vm follow by right click the host and shut down in vsphere client.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

ga6264
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it is physical

0 Kudos
ga6264
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. The server is physical. SO the shutdown process can all be done in Vsphere client. What about the start up? WIll the vcenter start up by itself then I can use the vsphere client?

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hello,

Well let me add some spices to this as last month I was involved in similar case when we replace our UPS:)

• list down all your applications with their dependencies, such as Exchange it depends on the DC etc etc...

• If you are accessing your infrastructure via management server or iLO via that server, shutdown this server at last point.

• If your vCenter as VM, remember it was running on which host.

• Shutdown your VMs as per the order your listed in the first point

• But your hosts into maintenance mode and Shutdown your hosts, remember if they are blade servers DON’T insert them into your enclosure, have a coffee and give some times to allow all your network devices and your SAN to come up then insert the blade servers as then will boot automatically during the startup procedure.

• Shutdown your network switches.

• Shutdown your SAN Storage

• You may think of allowing the hosts itself to automatically starts the VMs for your, then you have to consider that as well. If your vCenter is hosted internally beside your DNS/DC infrastructure, then allow the hosts to start your DNS first, then your vCenter. Also remember if your hosts depends on your DNS/DC infrastructure start that host first and make sure your DNS up and running then start the other hosts.

The list which i have prepared I don't have it infornt of me know atleaset I can give you all the steps that I have followed.

hope you can make good startup/shutdown/startup procedure out of the above.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Revisit your posts and award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos