VMware Cloud Community
uzimmermann
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with installing Virtual Center 2.5 not setting username and password

I am trying to install Virtual Center 2.5 and it seems the Virtual Center Server installer does not set the username and password provided during the installation process. When it gets to the installation of the Update Server, etc. it fails with bad username and password and even the web access although the Virtual Center web page comes up, won't take the username and password provided during the install. I have even tried such simple username and password like "admin" and won't work. Tried with default ports, changed ports, with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or the included 2005 Express. All fail with the same problem.

Has anyone run into this problem? Anywhere a log file of the installation I could check to see?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had that problem too. Just run the installer again to install those 2 components. Worked for me.

Sometimes it isn't worth digging for the root cause.... Didn't bother checking the logs.

good luck

0 Kudos
uzimmermann
Contributor
Contributor

Already have tried that. As I can't even login to the web interface after Virtual Center is installed, my problem seems to be still that the username and password are not getting set during install when they should be.

0 Kudos
krc1517
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you create a DB for the update manager before trying to install update manager? There are a bunch of other things that are needed per the Quickstart PDF http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_quickstart.pdf

Maybe try reinstalling since this sounds to be a fresh install. Wish I could give you more but there are so many roads to go down and troubleshoot. Maybe going through the quickstart will help. That's what I'm doing now...ugh.

0 Kudos
uzimmermann
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like I misunderstood the input field for "Administrator" and "Password". I thought it was asking me what to set the initial Admin username and password to, not an existing Windows Authentication user.

Going through the install of Update Server and Converter right now.

EDIT

Yes, my problem was that I though the dialog is asking me for the to be created Administrator user and its password but in reality it was asking for an existing Windows account.

0 Kudos