VMware Cloud Community
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems with cloning...

Hey guys, I'm new here but have used these boards many times and found them very helpful. I administor a 4 VM boxes with 4 VM's per box and about 10 "stand-alones" that make up our test environment. I am in a situation where I need to clone some VM's so I can rebuld my test environment. This would be a life saver because the application that runs on these VM's requires a ton of configuration and many 3rd-party supporting applications (java, apache, postgreSQL, etc...). My VM boxes are running ESX Server 3.0.1. The problem I am having is I have never been able to clone through the infrastructure client. This is where it gets weird, I have logged into my client before and seen the cloning options under "Commands" but only a few times. If I logout and immediatly log back in the options would be gone. Usually when I login I just see the basic set of commands. I have attached a screenshot of what I usually see when I login to the client. Does anyone have any idea what would cause me to see the options only sometimes? Thanks in advance!!

Russ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it is the FQDN so it could be anything - you could also use IP address but sounds like you might not know what that is either -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Clones and templates are a function of Virtual Center. Without a virtual center server, cloning and templates are not available. You can get a similar result by using converter to create a 2nd vm based on the first, but it is not a "clone" as virtual center creates. You can also simply copy the files on the ESX host, but that will require additional file editing. So, the easiest option is to use VMware converter.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I realized that I needed VirtualCenter a while back but I believe VirtualCenter is installed (I didnt do the initial setup). How can I find out? What would explain me randomly seeing the cloning options when I open the Infrastructure Client?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you connect your vi client to the vc server, instead of the ESX host, then you will see the cloning option available to you. It is a matter of pointing the vi client to vc instead of esx.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgive me but I'm not sure I know the difference... How to I go about connecting to the VC server instead of the ESX client?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as kjb pointed out you need VC for the clone feature from within the VI client - and looking at your attached image you are connecting directly to your ESX host so you will need to connect the VC server and you will be able to clone - also if you do not see your hosts as part of your VC environment you will need to add them to a datacenter within your vc environment first -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you launch your vi client, it asks you what server to connect to, and then your user authentication. The address you specify in that login, can be either the IP address or hostname to a virtual center server, or directly to an ESX host. Which host you connect to determines which functions/actions you are allowed to perform. The virtual center server provides advanced configuration options that are not available in the ESX server alone. A vc server can be used to manage several ESX servers, as well as providing cloning/templating as well as more advanced VI features, such as VMotion/DRS/HA.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So how would I determine the name of the virtual center server? I understand exactly what you're talking about as far as connecting to the different hosts and what not, I'm just not sure what my virtual center server name would be?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it is the FQDN so it could be anything - you could also use IP address but sounds like you might not know what that is either -

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're running esx 3.5, you can log onto the esx service console, and look into the file /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg. At the bottom of the file in the vpxa section, there is an element called serverIp. That should be your vc server. Launch your vi client, and point it to that address.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know the IP. Thanks though.

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running 3.0.1. Would that same file be present?

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FQDN did it. Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't forget to mark the question answered and give points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well my problems are back. Last night I was able to login to the VC host using the FQDN and my cloning options, along with others, were there. I played around with it for a bit then logged off. I got back on this morning and sure enough, all of my newly found VC options are gone. Right back to the standard summary screen....

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you sure you're not running into hostname conflicts here? Meaning, were you getting different IP addresses for the same name? The screenshot you posted yesterday was for a VI client connected to an ESX host, where there would be no cloning option. Then if cloning was available, you had to be connected through the VI client to a VC server. Did you connect to the same name both times? Can you do lookups on the FQDN you used yesterday and make sure the IP address is the same as what is in the vpxa.cfg?

When you do, can you post another screenshot if it looks different?

-KjB

rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am starting to think I need to get with our internal IT dept... Looks like we have some DNS issues or something. Last night I connected to the VC server using the FQDN. This morning I connected using the FQDN but I am getting the ESX client. Something isn't right...

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another thing to consider...

If you connect the VI client to your VC server (all is ok) then while that is open, also open VI client to an ESX host just to multitask and later close out VI client sessions, it will remember the last IP/server name you connected to and if not paying close attention reopen VI client to what you think is the VC server actually opening an ESX. I have made that mistake in the past.

0 Kudos
rpayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually tried that this morning. I am getting the same with both host names. I really think my IT dept has some things to look at...

0 Kudos