VMware Cloud Community
vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Update Manager and Converter in MS cluster

Just installed VC 2.5 update 1 into a MS cluster, everything seems to be working fine except I am not able to install any plugins into my VC client. I get the following error.

Plugin Installer Error.

Unable to connect to the remote server.

Is it even possible to run the plugins in a cluster?

Thanks

vwman

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did you update the managed IP address in the runtime settings of the virtual center administration server to reflect your cluster IP address?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it did update that info. Even tried failing it over several times

Thanks

vwman.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried installing the client directly from the vc install media?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Was finally able to get the machine to sucessfully scan. But now when I try to remediate the ESX host there are no baselines available to check. I have deleted all existing baselines and created new ones with no effect.

thanks

vwman

0 Kudos
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vwman,

I had an occurance where all the baselines disappeard. I feel the Update Manager Integrations are a little buggy to say the least.

You should only be able to run a scan against a baseline that has been applied against in this case the host.

We had an issue where we applied a 3.5.0 Update 1 baseline to a serve with vanilla 3.5.0 which reported incorrectly as being compliant. Our workaround was to do an upgrade of the server, and it now patches OK.

Also note update manage only patches 3.5. hosts.

Good luck

SA

If the comments were useful, please consider awarding points for helpful or correct. Thanks - SA -
0 Kudos
vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Finally figured out that I needed to go to the Update Manager tab on the host and attach the baseline to the server.

vwman

0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Vwman,

In a number of environments I've successfully configured 2 VirtualCenter instances (one active at any one time via MSCS) - these have been running okay for some time. In addition, Update Manager runs okay on a VirtualCenter node and then we flick over to the 2nd node there are issues with with service and currently the only workaround I've found is to run a repair on Update Manager.

Also, the 2nd node does not have visibilty of the baselines that were applied via the 1st node.

I'm not sure whether the issue is realted to the local host folders; hostupdate & metadata that need to be in a common location rather than 2 separate locations?

Do you have any feedback on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
WarrenO
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue here with Update Manager - just doesn't seem to play well in a cluster at all. Is it the same with Converter, as I'm about to have a go with that as well - any pointers would be much appreciated?

Also, while I'm on...(!), how is security configured in a cluster? The only method of being able to apply domain-based accounts I've found so far is to add the specific accounts explicitly into VirtualCenter - no form of grouping (Global, Domain Local or local groups created by me on the server nodes) seems to work, although using the built-in local groups, such as Administrators, Users etc on the cluster nodes does work.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos