VMware Cloud Community
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problems updating vCenter 4.0.0

Hey folks,

I'm trying up update my vCenter 4.0.0 to U1.

So I downloaded VMware-VIMSetup-all-4.0.0-208156.zip, and extracted the contents. I ran autorun.exe and my choices are "Modify linked mode configuration" or "Uninstall".

What I want to do is to upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4 update 1.

Am I on the right track or shoud I do something different?

Thanks for your advice,

Grant

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Nope, that's correct.

Install VC is extremely easy, you install, connect to DB. The DB contains ALL the info. So uninstall VC, reboot, reinstall with VC 4 U1, connect to DB, done.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When upgrading from 2.5 to 4.0, you can just install over top without uninstalling first. But now when updating to 4.0 U1, you uninstall first?

That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll give it a try...

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

you uninstall first?

No... use same procedure of a normal upgrade.

Install the product, say that you alread have a DB, specify the ODBC DSN, and the upgrade will start.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I have always had issues using the zip. Now I always download a iso. No need to even burn to cd. You can download a utility that will let you mount the iso on you vcenter server. Just choice the option to install vcenter. It will finde the previous version and upgrade.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

almost sounds like you have VC 4.0U1 installed already. What build number do you see when you go to Help | About?

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get the same thing. Does linked-mode need to be disabled? I.e., does the vCenter server about to be upgraded need to be isolated from the other vCenter servers before the installer is run? Otherwise the installer only gives the option of modifying linked mode or uninstalling. Obviously I don't want to uninstall.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually ended up opening a tech support case. It turns out, I had U1 already installed. I believe that if you run the installer and don't get the option to upgrade (i.e. - you only get the options about linked mode and uninstall) - that means you already have the bits installed. Help > About still says build 208111 (horribly confusing, I know).

If anyone knows how to determine if you have U1 installed, other than downloading and attempting to install - please speak up.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's pretty lame. My VMware vCenter Server in About VMware vSphere says Version 4.0.0 build Build 208111 but the website and downlaodable clearly have a higher build number, 208156. I guess I'll just ignore it and wait for U2.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what the support guy said (who was very helpful, BTW) was that some componants were updated with the new build number but the overall package still has the same number --- doesn't make any sense to me either but.....

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could be snarky and say "classic VMware" but oh well. If that is indeed the case, then the MSI version hasn't changed so we don't get a chance to install a newer version containing newer components. I assume uninstalling/reinstalling is the only way then. I just wanted to stay current. I don't think there's much in U1 that I really need to take advantage of.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

the difference in the two build numbers is that the installer build number is 208156, but the vpxd.exe is build 208111. clear as mud???

0 Kudos