vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Problems adding storage in VirtualCenter

Posted Oct 09, 2008 10:59 AM

I'm having problems adding storage in an infrastructure we are setting up.

We've got one VIrtual Center Server (Client / Server version 2.5.0, build 119598), and two ESX 3.5 Update 2 (120512) servers. It's a fresh install, and the hardware of the two ESX Servers is identical.

Our storage configuration is thus: In each server there is a pair of disks for the OS, and then four disks in a RAID 5 array - these arrays are totally local to each server.

If I go to 'add storage' on one server, I'm able to see the RAID5 disk, and add it as a datastore, once done, I can't add the RAID5 disk in the other server as a datastore - the 'add storage wizard' simply displays an empty listing, even though I can see the drive showing up under SCSI targets on the 'Storage Adapters' section of the ESX host configuration tab!

Here's the really odd part - if I go back to the first server, and remove the datastore, I'm then able to go to the second server - and the drive then shows up in the add storage wizard - but once added as a datastore, the same problem described above (empty disk listing in wizard) occurs on the first server!

I must stress, that were talking about local disks and RAID arrays here - there's no SAN or other shared storage of any kind allocated to each server!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (for clarity - I'd run a full scan and remediate on each host).

--

Mark

• 2.  RE: Problems adding storage in VirtualCenter
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 09, 2008 01:32 PM

Hi,

I don't know what is wrong but try the following.

1. Remove both hosts from virtual center

2. add host a and create your vmfs parition

3. remove host a from virtual center

4. add host b and create your vmfs partition

5. add host a to virtual center

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

• 3.  RE: Problems adding storage in VirtualCenter

Posted Oct 09, 2008 01:43 PM

Thanks for that! Resolved

--

Mark