VMware Cloud Community
ropi2013
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with vCenter Server update from 5.0 to 5.5

Hello,

we have a problem with the update from 5.0 to 5.5

We have to locations and on every location is one vCenter Server with 5.0 installed. Both locations are in link mode.

Now we did the following steps:

- we updated location 1 wirth 5.5 (simple install) and all works fine

- we updated location 2 with 5.5 (simple install - i know this was a fault because we need the link mode) and we get an error that the server can not isolated from the link mode and the installation was canceld

- we set back our snaphshot and did it again, this time with manuall installation and select the third option (this option is needed if link mode is used - according to the documentation)

- we still get the error that the server can not isolated from the link mode.

I think there are some corrupted data in the active directory lightwight directory because we did some wrong steps during the update. Is it possible to delete the wrong entries in the active directory lightwight or what is the best practise to get the update with link mode done?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Hi,

According to this kb :VMware KB: Upgrading to vCenter Server 5.5 best practices

"Before you upgrade any vCenter Server that belongs to a Linked Mode group, remove it from the Linked Mode group. Upgrading vCenter Servers that are members of a Linked Mode group can cause the upgrade to fail, and can leave vCenter Servers in an unusable state. After you upgrade all members of a Linked Mode group to version 5.5, you can rejoin them."

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
ropi2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Julien,

thanks for your reply!

I tried to isolate the server manually befor the update but i get the same error: Setup cannot isolate vCenter Server from the linked mode group.

Click YES to force this operation

In the status.log is following error (sorry its german):

-----------------

Operation "Isolate instance VMwareVCMSDS" failed:

Action: Isolate Instance

Action: Removal of standalone instance

Action: Remove Instance

Problem: Removal of instance VMwareVCMSDS failed: Der Assistent zum Entfernen konnte nicht alle Komponenten entfernen. Führen Sie nach Beheben des folgenden Fehlers "Adamuninstall.exe /i:<Instanz>" aus, um die Instanz zu entfernen:

Fehler beim Versuch des Remoteverzeichnisservers "Manage-koester1.koester.local:389", den Verzeichnisserver "CN=MANAGE-KOESTER2$VMwareVCMSDS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,CN={563328AC-9FB2-455D-94C8-319258E467DE}"

zu entfernen.

Fehlercode: 0x800720d6

Für den Verzeichnisdienst wurde keine übergeordnete Referenz konfiguriert. Der Verzeichnisdienst kann deshalb keine Verweise auf Objekte außerhalb der Gesamtstruktur ausgeben.

-----------------

Recovering from failed Operation "Isolate instance VMwareVCMSDS"

-----------------

Recovery successful

-----------------

Execution error.

I'm not sure if i did it correct. We have one vCenter Server that is allready updated to 5.5 and the other one with the problems. Should i run the configure link mode tool on the server which is allready updated to 5.5 or on the other one? Or on both?

Maybe this KB is the right one for me? http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201341...

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Click YES to force this operation -->Did you try this?

Ideally this should have been done before upgrading.. That KB does look promising.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
ropi2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Girish,

yes i tried to force this operation but it didnt work. i get the same error.

I followed the posted KB but now i have the next problem. The installation of sso stops on "Configuring SSO Components... ".

There is a KB for this problem but i have to wait for a vmware supporter Smiley Sad

0 Kudos