VMware Cloud Community
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with vCenter Performance Overview page and vCenter Search function

Hi!

I have just installed the newest vCenter on a Win2008 x64 server - everthing went fine, but i now got 2 issues:

1. When i try to use the search function, ill get a message that says: "Could not acquire an authentication ticket for the query serivce"

I have startet the Ochestra Service but it did not help.

2. The Performance page shows a IE page saying "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

Can anybody help me with thees issues?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

tell me how your vcenter looks like.

P or VServer, RAM, CPU?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

It's Virtual, 1 CPU, 2 GB RAM

0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

I have also just noticed in netstat that the server is not listening on port 8443, witch both the search function and the performance pages is using.

Witch serivce is normally doing that?

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you found any solution for that ?

0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes and no Smiley Happy

In my case there where 2 issues.

1. I have installed certificates provided by geotrust, and there seems to be a problem whit that. As soon as i moved the old certificates back, the server was listening on the correct ports

2. As described many other places, there was, and still are, a DNS issue, im still investigating this.

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

okay, thank you for your response...

I have nothing special about certificates and not assuming any dns issue,... strange...

cheers

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Mikkel-robin

Can you detail how you moved your SSL certs to resolve your problem? I am having the same issue and need a place to start.

J

0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

I just removed the certificates i installed myself and placed the backup of the orginal certificates in the folder again.

I followed this guide

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not that it helps but I have the same issue - It was a fresh install but used the old certificate from a previous VC installation. Still fighting....

0 Kudos
KobusBensch
Contributor
Contributor

I got the vCenter Performance Overview page problem. Strange thing is I even rebooted the vcenter server, but still no go. Anyboday that can help with this please?

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue with the Overview page of the Performance tab. On some, I get "This program cannot display the webpage" and on others I get "This program cannot display the webpage". This look like error message straight out of IE so I wonder if there are some setting within IE that I need to fix. I can view the Advanced page under Performance just fine. For my environment, I am solely testing so I have just 1 physical ESX4 host running vCenter as a VM and 1 more virtualized ESX4 host. I also have a couple lightweight VMs on that same cluster.

0 Kudos
AprilTechno
Contributor
Contributor

Got same issue when i install my vcenter. I guess your tomcat/java fail to start on your vcenter server

For me it was caused by tomcat/java default memory configuration who

was too high on my vcenter preventing him to start the java web server

( used by Performance overview tab and the 2 plugins that don' start)

Fixed it by decreasing allocated ram in java ( before : 1024 ->

after : 512) : go to start>progams>vmware>vmware

tomcat>monitor tomcat then go to java and decrease maximum memory

pool and resart tomcat/java.

0 Kudos
KobusBensch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for this.

Tried a normal restart and you suggestion, but it still gives me the same issue. I can access the web client no problem, just the performance overview that is not working.

Kobus

0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor

I have just changed the URL in

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions\com.vmware.vim.stats.report\extension.xml

And its working now!

0 Kudos
KobusBensch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Checked the url. not a prob.

I tried to run the url in a web browser and it give me the following:

Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.

View details for more information.

java.lang.NullPointerException

Hide Details:\

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.WebHelper.getManagedObjectReference(Unknown Source)

com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.action.ViClientRequestAction.configureForward(Unknown Source)

com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.action.ViClientRequestAction.execute(Unknown Source)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.servlet.ExecuteAction.execute(ExecuteAction.java:58)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.AbstractExecuteAction.execute(AbstractExecuteAction.java:67)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.ActionCommandBase.execute(ActionCommandBase.java:51)

org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)

org.apache.commons.chain.generic.LookupCommand.execute(LookupCommand.java:304)

org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)

org.apache.struts.chain.ComposableRequestProcessor.process(ComposableRequestProcessor.java:283)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:449)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)

org.apache.catalina.valves.CometConnectionManagerValve.invoke(CometConnectionManagerValve.java:256)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:263)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:584)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)

java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What URL are you changing? I clicked "Monitor Tomcat" from the Start Menu, then right-clicked the icon in the system tray to hit Configure. This pops up the "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices Properties". In there, I don't see where you are changing a URL.

0 Kudos
gyrecon
Contributor
Contributor

You have several Options to solve but here is one:

(Only use if the Vcenter Server has a static IP)

You have to navigate to:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions\com.vmware.vim.stats.report\extension.xml

Then edit the extension.xml with notepad, and edit the URL <MachineName:8443//statsreport/vicr.do replace the MachineName with the IP Address of the Server.

Reboot and re-login

Virtualization Solutions

www.gyreconsulting.com

Virtualization Solutions www.gyreconsulting.com
0 Kudos
erwinrivera
Contributor
Contributor

This fixed I had to set the server name by IP but needed to restart to get it all working again. Thanks!!

0 Kudos