VMware Cloud Community
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with the vsphere 4.1 data migration tool.

Hello,

I guess this is the problem with trying to be an early adopter.

I am trying to upgrade my environment to vSphere 4.1. My old VC was 32 bit with a local SQl 2005 express (it's a lab - I don't want the full blown SQL version).

I have re isntalled on a x64 2008 R2. No issues, this is great. But empty....no licences, or anything.

The docs say you can use the data migration tool to move the DB and config.

I followed the instructions and after running backup.bat I get the following error :

DB logs: HResult 0x2, Level 16, State 1

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server .

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : An error has occurred while

establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, th

is failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server

does not allow remote connections..

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : Login timeout expired.

Error: vCenter Server DB backup failed

Exiting...

For info, yes remote logins are enable, so is named pipes, sql browser started. Old VC works fine. OBDC test's OK. Running as local system and logged on as local administrator. Tried running SQL express as the same admin account. Still broke.

I can connect just fine with :

sqlcmd -S .\SQLEXP_VIM

and

osql /Snp:
.\pipe\MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM\sql\query -E

So it's configured right and listening.....

Only thing I've noticed is that the logs say :

vCenter Server DB instance:

so it doesnt' actually list an instance....

So I'm stuck. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
20 Replies
mephisto1429
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pinkerton, you're a gem.

Sorted. Thanks.

Weird thing is, I saw that article, but since SQLCMD worked for me, I dismissed it.

Everything EXCEPT the VMware backup script worked.

Computers eh ? Always interesting.... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, just performed the migration - everything seemed to work well, however, after opening vSphere Client on the new computer all configuration is gone? I also don't see any restore operation for the vCenter DB in the restore.log file. Only Update Manager DB seems to have been restored!

/edit: The datamigration tool indeed did not restore my database! However, after restoring the database manually afterwards from the file datamigration\data\vc\vc_upgraded_db everything is working fine - configuration is back!

Message was edited by: pinkerton

mephisto1429
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It works for me too. But now i have a new error.

Successfully backed up vCenter Server DB

Error: vCenter Server DB backup failed

Exiting...

0 Kudos
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Pinkerton

Same problem here.

Same solution. Restore manually.

So..... it seems that it's not quite ready yet. Smiley Happy

Thanks. Have some more "helpful" points

0 Kudos
mephisto1429
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I try to backup and restore manually but the vcenter service don't start now... I'm not sure if the 4.1 version was really ready for deployment.....

0 Kudos
pinkerton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've finished the migration now and all seems to look okay. Had one additional problem with Update Manager. Even though it was available after the first install of the client, a little later it disappeared and the "Manage Plugins" option in vSphere client showed that the old version of the client (4.0) was ready for installation. Could only get rid of this by manually removing Update Manager and then installing it again.

It indeed seems that the migration tool has not bee properly tested...

OS is Windows Server 2003 x64 btw.

0 Kudos
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@memphisto1429

Did you backup from the old server and restore to the new one ?

If so, you have a version 4.0 (or older depending on your version) database restored to a version 4.1 VC. Never going to work.

If you cannot get the data migration program to work (can't help you on this, sorry), then try installing the same version of VC on you new server as the old one. Then do a manual backup and restore. This should migrate to a x64 bt platform.

After that, do an in palce upgrade.

However, I do agree with you taht there seems to be issues with the Data Miragtion process.

@Pinkerton.

Didn't have VUM installed in lab, so can't comment. everything else is fine.

0 Kudos
XavierWu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi FillDeeUK,

I've got the same error as you.

Here is my workaround for this case.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/276413?tstart=0

0 Kudos
Skyrod7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

don't understand...Do need to change the pipe name "
.\pipe\MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM\sql\query" to simple "
.\pipe\sql\query"?

0 Kudos
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. That worked for me.

0 Kudos
Skyrod7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, backup via datamigration tool was passed successfully, but when run install.bat in destination I recieved following -

0 Kudos
FillDeeUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry mate. Can't really help.

I guessing your install is Russian. Unicode errors would point to a language problem with the datamigrator.

I believe that this datamigrator product has been rushed out due to the 64bit only issue. I don't think it's been fully tested.

As I suspect that you aren't going to get this to work, I can only repeat my advice to memphisto1429, and suggest that you do a fresh install of your current VC version on the 64 bit platform and then do a manual backup and restore from the 32 bit to the 64 bit SQL Express instance. This should (hopefully) get all your current data onto a 64 bit platform. Then run an in place upgrade to get to the latest version.

Vmware - feel free to step in an help people with this product. There seems to be many issues..........

0 Kudos
Skyrod7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for help. Will try with Eng. W2008R2 install.

0 Kudos
banthony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I encountered the same issue and was able to resolve it. I'll explain how:

I noticed in the backup.log file it displayed "vCenter Server DB instance:", but I know the database instance was "SQLEXP_VIM". So I started looking through the Python scripts and found a function "get_vc_db_instance_name()" in the "utility.py" file. It references the following registry value:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\" DbInstanceName

Upon checking this value I noticed it was empty. So I updated it with "SQLEXP_VIM" and ran the backup.bat file again. Like magic it worked!

0 Kudos
martinlillepuu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sweet, you just saved the day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mephisto1429
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bonjour, Veuillez prendre note que je serai absent du 21 juillet au 18 août. Pour toute urgence, veuillez communiquer avec monsieur Réjean Tremblay.

Merci

0 Kudos
blautens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent work - thanks.

MCSE, VCP4
0 Kudos