VMware Cloud Community
eponz
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with conection host cd/dvd

Hi,

I have a problem, witth ESX 3.5 update 2 and VC 2.5, virtual machines can not read the cd ESX Server, I tested from linux, I mounted the cdrom and that if you read it, the problem is from the virtual machine (installed in 2003 server)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Just curious, if you right click on the virtual machine ->edit settings->what do you see when you click on CD/DVD Drive 1? It should be at "Host Device" and /dev/hda option but you can poke around to see what's up with it. You can also mount .iso file too and make sure it said "Connected or connect at power on" option.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
eponz
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is not that exactly, exactly when the device is active dev / hda and enable the lighting to be connected with the virtual machine, but from the virtual machine I select the CD drive and I said that does not contain anything. The connection to a cd client works well and the ISO also

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

Is only one guest connected to the host CD drive? Also, make sure the SC is not mounting the CD. Occasionally a guest will mount the CD and make it exclusive. That's why it's a good idea to not connect CD's and Floppies at power on, or leave them connected when not actually in use. I also find it best practice to use .iso or client connections rather than using the host drive.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos