VMware Cloud Community
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with VI Client

Hi,

So I rebooted my machine the other day (first time in awhile) and when it came back up I opened my VI client and proceeded to login as usual, well this error comes up now that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I have no idea why this is coming up. I tried removing and reinstalling and no luck. My VC server is up and running and I can connect fine.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running vista on your workstation, I had a similar issue to this.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Have a look here: http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=667191#667191

I currently have an Service Request open with VMwre on this. This has been going on for over well over a month and they don't seem to be in a hurry to resolve it. I have a WebEx session today and will pass on anything I find out. Our work around in the interim is to have affected users start their virtual machines via the VC Web Client which is unaffected by the problem. You could also bump up privileges but we weren't willing to do that.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue but there is a work-around that was proposed by VMware support that has worked for some people. Give it a try.

"Regarding this issue, first let me say that windows vista has not been fully tested and is not currently supported for running VIC. My recommendation is to not run VIC on windows Vista at this current time. The problem here is due to the differences between windows 2000/xp/2003 vs windows vista. VI client is trying to look for time zone information inside registry, in a location that does not exist in windows vista. You can verify by:

On your win xp box, look under registry, local machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones Now go to your windows vista, look under the registry and try to locate the same folder (it's not there).

There are 2 possible workarounds.

1. clone without customization. After cloning, make sure new VM is disconnected from network, start up the new VM, run sysprep to generate a new ssid and network information for the new windows. Please refer to Microsoft articles for how to use sysprep.

2. Note that if you choose to take try this second workaround, you must be willing to take full responsibility on what the changes may do to your windows vista. Simply go to your windows xp machine registry, look for local machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones, and export the time zones folder to a .reg file. Copy that file to windows vista and import that into the registry. This works for me (but I only tested it briefly), again, you will have to decide whether you want to do this or not."

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We get this on Vista, XP and Windows 2003 installs running the client. The issue is with a subset of users and a subset of virtual machines. Our issue is only with starting virtual machines and can be worked around, as stated, by using the web client. I don't have this issue at all, or any issue, running VI client on my Vista install.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry miss-read the first post, I see now it's a slightly different issue, the one I posted about relates to the customization wizard in the VI client when running it on Vista - although the error message is the same.

Strange you don't see that issue on Vista! What version are you running?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"Strange you don't see that issue on Vista! What version are you running? "

Ya, that is what I thought based on my reading. I am running Vista Enterprise.

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the VI client on an XP machine. It was working a couple weeks ago and I am not sure what may have changed?

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

It has something to do with my specific workstation because it loads fine and I can login on other machines.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you got any other VMware products installed on your Workstation with the VI client problems? Some of them can conflict.

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

No, I have no other VMware products installed on this workstation.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmm, installed anything else? .NET update? Have you tried a reinstall of the VI client/

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Tried uninstall and reinstall and no luck.

I might just rebuild the PC.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is most likely something in the registery it doesn't like, you're right though, probably be easier to rebuild the PC than troubleshoot the problem.

0 Kudos