VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Problem with Update Manager

Hi all,

I am tyring to use Update Manager. When I do a scan on any of my ESX servers all I get is returned is the status 'not compliant' against all my baselines. I also get no 'Compliant Updates'. Surely this is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you try to remediate one of your esx hosts and see if they are compliant again after the remediation ?

We had the same problem..

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmmm, I haven't. Let me try it and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmmm, I haven't. Let me try it and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you enabled the update manager plugin inside your VI-client you can right click a ESX host and click on remediate.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Will this put my ESX into Maintenance Mode??

Attached is an image of what I'm seeing. Is this a bug or something??

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here is what I am seeing.

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi thethirdplace,

this is normal behaviour.

Esx host tries to vmotion of the running VM's if possible before it will be put in maintenance mode.

when esx host is in maintenance mode, patches will be applied.

maybe a reboot will occur.

after this your esx host should be automaticly get out of maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

As stated this is common behavior. The scan simply looks to see if your hosts are compliant against your baseline. To patch, you must remediate as already pointed out. This will start the patch process, which will open some ports on ESX, and put server in maintenance mode. If you have DRS in automatic, the vm's will migrate off the host, and patching will begin. Once patching is complete, server will reboot, ports will be disabled, and server will come out of maintenance mode.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I was able to remediate but there are a couple of things that arose;

1] When the machine went to reboot I got a vmkernel panic error. The ESX did not shut down, I had to do it manually.

2] Once the ESX was back up and running and put into the cluster I began to manually migrate some vm's back onto it and got a warning regarding changing the config file?

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

It's better for you if you put the ESX host on the Maintenance Mode. Then remediate your hosts. If you try to VMotion your VMs to another host within the Cluster and the VMs didn't move or you got a warning message regarding your config files. Make sure your VMs is not attached to a Serial Port or USB. Or enable the Serial Port and USB on the Destination Host and try to VMotion once again.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

But why did I get the kernel panic??

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

These errors, you are getting them during the ESX booting? Or where ?

After successfuly patched the Host, are you able to boot it?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please see the attached doc...it was when the machine was rebooting...

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

One of the patches, particularly a kernel patch, did not load correctly. Does the server come back up? I would force an update to Update 1, and then reapply remaining patches.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I tried update manager for the first time today, and updated one host from 3.5 update to update 3.

It was a test, so I had only 2 XP VM's at the host. They was migrated to another host and everything seems to be fine, but I thought it would migrate those VM's back to the host,

but that didn't happen..

Is this right, or shall it usually migrate the VM's back to the updated host?

0 Kudos