Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem joining 3.5 esx box to VC 2.5

My current setup is;

VIC 2.5.0 build 64192

VC 2.5.0 build 64192

ESX 3.5.0 build 64607

These are the builds you get if you download the latest downloads.

All my hosts were orginally ESX 3.0.1, build 32039 then upgraded to 3.0.2 build 61618 then recently 3.5.0 64607.

The VIC and VC are fresh installs, no upgrade.

Everything was fine, however I have another host to add so I've freshly installed ESX 3.5.0 build 64607 but I cannot join it to the VC however I can manage it with the client, create VM's, see the SAN etc. The error I get when I try to join it to the VC is "A general system error occurred: internal error" and the host remains greyed out and disconnected. This occures after it tells you what the box is, what VM's it holds etc.

Licences are setup correctly, firewall ports are open, from the point of view of connecting the client directly to the box the disconnected host would appear to be configured exactly the same as any connected host except it doesn't have a vpxuser?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

make sure your ESX server has the same vc agent build as your VC Server. At the console type vpxa -v

See link for manually installing vc agent.

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX6

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you add the FQDN to your DNS or to the hosts file?

When I remember right, I did have seen this behavior before, caused by a problem with name resolution.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you see any errors on the VC server logs (vpxd-*.log)?

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

make sure your ESX server has the same vc agent build as your VC Server. At the console type vpxa -v

See link for manually installing vc agent.

http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX6

0 Kudos
fontyyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Relax guys! My fault (well, not mine, someones) traced to a dodgy Broadcom NIC not on the approved hardware list, worked with 3.0.2, didn't work with 3.5....

Thanks anyway, points given!

0 Kudos