VMware Cloud Community
wdbarker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem installing VMware vCenter Server on Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

I'm trying to install vCenter Server from VMware-VIMSetup-all-4.0.0-208156. I'm using a remote SQL Server 2008 SP1 database. The machine is a freshly built and updated W7Pro-64 running on ESXi 4.0 u0 (trying to get to u1<g>).

At the step "Installing Directory Services..." I get the error "Error 28035.Setup failed to copy DSACLS.EXE from System folder to '%windir%'ADAM' folder. There are several threads addressing similar issues, mostly 4 or 5 months ago and all seemed to be resolved by installing Dot NET 3.5 SP1. I just ran the Setup verifier (it says 3.5 SP1 is installed and correctly configured) from http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx.

Where do I go from here? I have 58 days left in my evaluation period. I guess I can find an old 2003 install disk and build it on that. But this is 2010!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Where do I go from here? I have 58 days left in my evaluation period. I guess I can find an old 2003 install disk and build it on that. But this is 2010!

Not supported. Try installing vCenter on a supported Host OS.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

wdbarker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are no current hosts listed in that matrix as supported. That is quite odd. I'll find an old XP disk and try that. If your answer is right, shame on VMWare - AND your answer was helpful. All those folks saying they were successful using 2008R2 made me doubt the matrix.

Thanks again. I'll report back if it installs clean on XP, but somehow I know it will<g>.

0 Kudos
wdbarker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Follow-up. vCenter installed easily on XP Pro SP3. I did pre-install Dot Net 3.5 SP1. There were about a hundred updates and it just feels weird to install something that old on which to run vCenter, but it does indeed work. Luckily, data processing isn't about feelings<g>. I run the vSphere Client from my W7 workstation, and the XP appliance is just another VM with no console attached (99.9% of the time).

Thanks, Troy for the nudge in the right direction.

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos